PDA

View Full Version : Blue Cohosh

Anita Bower
04-11-2009, 07:04 AM
My main question about this image is why it has noise. It shouldn't considering the settings. I'm just learning to use my new D300, so I likely have some settings wrong.

Nikon D300, f8, 1/80sec., ISO 400, auto WB, matrix metering, jpeg, tripod, natural light, in-camera sharpening off (I hope). Post processing PS7--levels, saturation, curves, clone, burn. crop a bit.

Thanks!

Richard Lovison
04-11-2009, 07:25 AM
I like the composition and colors. Beautiful image.

Are you capturing an in-camera jpeg or are you making a RAW capture? If your original is a jpeg and you do a number of saves after image processing, artifacts will be created in the process that look like noise. Using a low compression ratio when saving a jpeg will also generate artifacts.

There might be some in-camera noise reduction feature that needs to be turned on as well. Hopefully someone with Nikon experience can help you with this.

Julie Kenward
04-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Anita, I can't say for sure but noise comes in to an image where there is darkness AND when you use a high ISO. Now, personally, I don't consider 400 a "high" ISO but I have noticed that when I jump from 200 to 400 in low-light (meaning not bright sunshine) the darker areas will begin to show some grain or noise.

I would challenge you to put the image into Photoshop (if you have it...you do, don't you? It's so powerful!) and open a levels adjustment. If you have CS4 you can choose "brighten midtones" and this is what you'll see (if not, move the midtone slider to the 1.25 range.) I then ran a round of noise reduction and this was the final product. See how so much of the noise instantly went away? It's because I removed some of the darkness from the image. My guess is you were a little under exposed here and that, coupled with the 400 ISO produced the noise.

Anita Bower
04-11-2009, 05:07 PM
I appreciate the input.

To answer Richard's question: This image was (accidentally) captured with jpeg in camera. I intended it to be RAW, but, must have inadvertedly switched the controls. I haven't worked with jpegs in several years. I don't think I opened it a bunch of times, but don't really remember.

I took Jules' challenge. Here is the resulting image; I think it is much improved, noise-wise. (I have PS7.) I lightened, but did not run noise reduction because I don't have noise reduction software. But, I see a difference. I think I may keep my images too dark. Also, I do tend to set my camera -.7 when shooting, and it was a cloudy day. Thanks for the help!

Ed Vatza
04-11-2009, 06:56 PM
I think I may keep my images too dark.

A tendency we share, Anita. Sometimes, I have to literally force myself to brighten up an image. I seem to prefer darker (and more saturated) images. Anyway, I think you repost looks much better than the original. Keep plugging. It will all come together.

Julie Kenward
04-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Anita, I do think it looks better. I would agree that on some of your images you do tend to go a bit dark. I used to do that as well as I would mistake exposure for contrast. I learned to photograph so the whites were exposed properly (meaning not 'blown' and not middle gray) and once I did that I started to understand that it's much easier to darken than to lighten AND contrast is a whole other ball of wax. (Exposure is lighten; contrast is brighten!)

I think your rule of going -7 on contrast needs to be re-evaluated as it won't always work in every situation. Put the camera on manual and think about what you're looking at when you make each exposure. You'll soon learn all the situations where -7 will result in too dark of an image. Remember, too, that the most bits of information are in the lightest tones - if you miss getting the histogram to reach those top tones on the right you are getting all the detail in your image that you could.

Mike Moats
04-12-2009, 05:55 AM
Hey Anita, I tend to like dark moody lighting so I don't mind the original, but I think you repost looks good also.

Gus Cobos
04-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi Anita,
it all depends on the particular feel, or mood that you are trying to convey...I Like your repost for my personal taste, but there is noting wrong with your original...good show, looking forward to your next one...:cool: