PDA

View Full Version : Egret With Meal

DustinFinn
04-10-2009, 10:38 AM
http://www.dustinfinn.com/gallery/Posted_2009/2009.04.09_183524_SM_IMG_0702_web_.jpg
40D, 600mm, ISO 400, 1/3200 F/6.3

The JPG is def. ruining some details in the whites, the RAW is much much nicer.

Axel Hildebrandt
04-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Great moment captured although I have no idea what the egret is eating. :) The whites look good, I only wish for a bit more head turn and a slightly brighter BG.

Sharna Lee
04-10-2009, 11:41 AM
I really like the whites here. The bg is a tad dark but what can we do eh?
I love the green on it's head too. Very sharp focus.

Sharna

DustinFinn
04-10-2009, 12:20 PM
...I only wish for a bit more head turn and a slightly brighter BG.

I would find it more helpful if you elaborated on this?

Do I sacrifice details in the whites to allow for that shodowy background to seep in a little ?

Do I use flash to help light it (realizing the flash will hit the bird too) ?

Or is this something where I should just wait for this moment to happen again where the bird is in an area that is evenly lit?

I am not here to debate, I am here to understand and learn.

Axel Hildebrandt
04-10-2009, 12:28 PM
I would find it more helpful if you elaborated on this?

Do I sacrifice details in the whites to allow for that shodowy background to seep in a little ?

Do I use flash to help light it (realizing the flash will hit the bird too) ?

Or is this something where I should just wait for this moment to happen again where the bird is in an area that is evenly lit?

I am not here to debate, I am here to understand and learn.

It's just my personal preference because we don't see the BG as black in the field. I wouldn't use flash here because the light is great and would try to expose as far to the right as possible and try to get more details in the shadows using curves if necessary.

LouBuonomo
04-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Well I think it is very dramatic.. These types of shots stand out in competition alot becuase they are just that.

I would dodge the snackie a bit.. glad you got out.

Lou

DustinFinn
04-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Thank you Axel for the explaination, its this understanding that helps me where you are coming from.

Thanks Lou - Getting out was the hard part.... I was so happy to be out I wasn't worried about what I might get to see...

Maxis Gamez
04-10-2009, 01:31 PM
This is a great capture as presented. I would not do a thing to it. You did well keeping the whites under control and at the same time the dark BG really helps your subject. The meal puts this image over the top.

I have to disagree about more head turn.

Keep up the good work!

Grace Scalzo
04-10-2009, 02:57 PM
You already know what I think of this image....enter it in some competitions. It's interesting, dramatic, and beautiful.

Robert Amoruso
04-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Head turn is OK, it is parallel to the camera. Even if it was turned more towards the camera, the egret's eye would still be looking down and a head turn would not correct that. Since he just caught the snack, the eye is probably still looking in that direction. I have tons of egret images with perfect head turns and less then perfect eye placement.

One option, wholly up to the photographer, is to select the eye in PS, activate the transform tool and warp it into position. Again, personal choice on that option.

Background is dramatic and I would not change it a bit. Artie posted an egret from Merritt Island a while back, black BG and I believe the bird may have been backlighted. It got raves reviews. This is a similar situation here. It works very well for me. Nice going Dustin.

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-10-2009, 06:52 PM
I like it as is, and don't mind the dark BG at all. Head is fine with me too. What the heck is that wormy thing though? Thanks for sharing mate. :)

Grady Weed
04-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Love it Dustin. Just right whites, love the rippled reflection in the side of the body. The black bg sets it off nicely. Sharp, action nicely captured. Love the greens in the eye and the fluffy breeding tail is a great find. Excellent all the way around. This is one of those scenes that can be interpreted a lot of ways. And imaged lots of ways too. I think your captured moment is a nice one as is.

Chris van Rooyen
04-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Very good handling of a very contrasty scene, and great moment to boot! Top photography

Stu Bowie
04-11-2009, 01:07 AM
Excellent exposure on the whites, and like the water reflected on the body. Great contrast, and he really stands out nicely from the BG. Well captured Dustin.

Ed Prete
04-11-2009, 12:17 PM
knowing the location, subject etc. I find this is an excellent, dramatic example with a background that matches what is seen in the field in this location. excellent image of a moment superbly captured.