PDA

View Full Version : Grape Hyacinths #2

Ed Vatza
04-10-2009, 04:24 AM
I worked these Grape Hyacinths last evening alternating which of the three was the primary focal point while shooting and then played around with the square composition idea in post-processing. I kinda like what I came up with in this image but would like your opinion.

I really like the blue on green here. Except for the center (most oof one), I really chopped the stems but it feels like it works with the flowers' diagonal entry into the frame. Also how do you feel about the lower flower being the focal point?

Canon 30D; Sigma 150mm macro lens; Canon 430 EX Flash with LumiQuest Softbox; handheld with photographer prone on the ground. (Any idea how vulnerable you feel while prone on the ground and a Pit Bull Terrier pulling at the leash is coming straight at you? All the "don't worry, she's friendly" comments don't help a whole lot.)

1/160 sec @ f/6.3; ISO 640; 0 EV; FEC -1

Mike Moats
04-10-2009, 06:31 AM
Hey Ed, I think you picked the right one for the focus point. I like the variation in the DOF on each flower. Nice colors

Anita Bower
04-10-2009, 06:37 AM
As I looked at this image, I noticed that my eye entered the frame from the upper left side, and searched for the main focus, finally finding it in the lower flower. This may have been because I was scrolling down and the image slowly appeared from the bottom of the screen. Anyway, it left me feeling that the flower in focus was the wrong one. I still feel that way. I prefer your Grape Hyacinths #1, which I thought was just about perfect.

Love the colors, especially the blue against green. Beautiful lighting. Almost, but not quite, makes me want to try flash, which I avoid like the plague.

denise ippolito
04-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Ed, Nice composition and I agree w/ Mike -you picked the right one to be in focus,I like that you have presented three different degrees of focus in one image-very interesting.

Gus Cobos
04-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Well done Ed,
I like the selective focus point and the play with the depth of field...good show...:cool:

Julie Kenward
04-10-2009, 09:21 PM
I did the same thing Anita did. Maybe that was because we scrolled down and maybe not. I do like the front flower once my eye got there.

Beautiful colors in this one, Ed. I do wish there was a smidge more room at the top of the frame. It looks like the flowers are ducking to make it in. ;)

Kaushik Balakumar
04-11-2009, 06:19 AM
Ed, u've pulled off a lovely image. Square crop is perfect for this frame - suits my taste buds. Like the way each of the bunch (of flowers) show different amount of blurring (due to their placement ofcourse). Love your BG here.
Only wish the edges of the 2 OOF bunches (of flowers) were more feathered (that way they gradually blend into the BG).