PDA

View Full Version : Wood Stork in Flight

Bob Blanchard
04-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Captured this evening at a little mudhole I found last year. The last three days have been phenomenal there, as the wind and sun have been at my back in the evenings, and the Wood Storks have been flying in by the hundreds. Many great flight shot opportunities, and I've never seen this many Wood Storks congregate in one area at a time. Not uncommon to see them come in 15 to 20 at a time. I liked this "wing up" pose, as it shows the breeding plumage with a good light angle. I have plenty in every imaginable flight pose.

Canon 1DsMII, 600mm f/4L, 1/1250, f/5, manual mode (metered off a Wood Stork that was on the ground), evening light with wind at my back, tripod.
http://catcheroflight.smugmug.com/photos/509164831_yup5a-X3.jpg

Tony Whitehead
04-10-2009, 03:30 AM
Well done on the exposure, Bob. Nice light and great wing position showing the underwing detail

Grady Weed
04-10-2009, 04:04 AM
I do believe this is the first Wood Stork flying image I've seen. Remarkable. I like the upbeat wings, the rather dull expression captured fits this bird perfectly.

Stu Bowie
04-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Very well exposed Bob, and a great flying posture. Well captured.

david cramer
04-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Classic pose and sharp. You must have had a great time! Nice work on the EXP, but I'd also try to bring out a little more detail in the black feathers.

phillane
04-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Bob Let me start by saying I really like this image a great deal. Having said that I must also tell you when I look at this image it feels really boxed in by the crop. My eye begs for more space around the subject, perhaps having more BG to the brids right and a little less on the left. IMO this would augment the sense of flight even more and take this image out of the ball park.

All the best

Phil

Juan Carlos Vindas
04-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Great work!

Lovely details in those blacks and whites. The wing position looks great as well as sharpness. Congrats from a beginner.