PDA

View Full Version : Blue-headed Vireo

Joel Arrington
01-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Canon 20D, 70-200 + 2x ext., aperture priority, 1/250 @ f/11, ISO 400, flash fill with Beamer. These birds live in the bushes. Thick cover is their natural habitat. Only rarely would you find one against an unobstructed sky or against out-of-focus distant foliage, so we look for cracks and holes in the leafy walls that surround them and try to catch them in that kind of momentary clearing. Uncommon species like this one I am delighted to catch in any circumstances.

Nonda Surratt
01-29-2008, 10:13 AM
What pretty image, I really like it! Not an easy image to capture at all, nice job!

I'm wondering if a bit less DOF would have maybe blurred the BG a bit more?

Joel Arrington
01-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Yes. Clearly f/8 or f/5.6 would have achieved that better. But, you know, you set up for the most typical conditions. I am always needing more depth. Then, without warning, along comes a situation where you need less. Zero time or opportunity to check your results before the bird has flown the coup. Few second chances. And maybe the next time you'll wish you had more depth of field. Much of bird photography is a crap shoot anyway.

-J

Alfred Forns
01-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Joel I like Nonda's suggestion about less dof Normally with that type bg is what I do Another option is to blur the bg in PS a bit I use PhotoKit Sharpener and it has softening brushes Very easy and efficient to work with Will post sample below I like the image a lot Difficult photographing the little guys You got a good bg for their normal habitat !!! Congrats !!!

Joel Arrington
01-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Yes. That blurring helped a lot. Thanks. You guys use a lot of tools I haven't yet acquired - or even heard of. But I learn a new trick almost every post.

edward saltau
01-30-2008, 04:18 AM
i like the pose and the blues of the sky. If you had a clearer bg it would help the image but as it is I like the blues and the greens in there. I can appreciate how hard these guys must be to photograph! i think you did a good job.
Alfred, could enlighten us more on photokit? i've heard it mentioned around the traps but not in relation to bird photography.

Terry Eddington
02-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Joel, I don't think I'm gonna nit at all. Very nice shot of a very difficult subject. We can woulda, coulda, shoulda all day but most of us will never get a photo anywhere near as good as this one. Congratulations.