PDA

View Full Version : Backlit Swallowtail

Bob Shaw
04-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Here's an oldey I would like your honest opinions on. Taken with a D60 Canon and 70-200F2.8 around 2004. I didn't have any more room on the right. Thanks for your input.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd276/BobandPat/butterflyonconeflower.jpg

Alfred Forns
04-09-2009, 05:57 PM
HI Bob I like the image a lot Clean bg and strong colors work well. Sure wish you had used some fill flash for this one, would have made a difference with the red flower making it lighter and bumping the color.

Always carry a flash/diffuser when going after these guys !!! btw crop wise looks fine, the flower looks deliberately cut not clipped and like the placement !!

Gus Cobos
04-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Hi Bob,
I like the compositional balance of the capture. I too agree with Mr. Forns on the flash recommendation...the colors on your butterfly are superb...good show...:cool:

Ed Vatza
04-10-2009, 03:52 AM
Personally, I think it is an excellent image as is. The fill would have put it over the top. The composition is terrific and the background wonderful.

Mike Moats
04-10-2009, 06:36 AM
Hey Bob, very nice with the backlighting on the B-fly wings. Agree with some fill light on the center of the cone flower, but still very nice as is.

Bob Shaw
04-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Thank you all for your kind words and suggestion. The reason I'm here is to learn these small things that I need to make second nature when I'm out. I used the magnetic lasso on the dark side of the coneflower, lightened it up some, and did a little snudge work to blend it all in.... It does look better IMO. Thanks guys, Bob

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd276/BobandPat/butterflyonconeflower-1.jpg

Julie Kenward
04-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Bob, I wish we knew what aperture & ss you were using. Any way to retrieve that data? You've got beautiful lighting on the wings of the butterfly but the middle back section is really OOF. I can live with the coneflower being shaded but that one section of wing really bothers me. Maybe a slightly higher ss was needed?

Richard Lovison
04-11-2009, 04:51 PM
The top of the wing closest to the viewer is what seems to be out of focus. Looks like a depth of field issue.

I like the image as well, the original or the revision.

Bob Allen
04-18-2009, 10:42 PM
When butterflies have their wings open, one must make choices. In general , keep the "film" plane parallel to the opposing wings, as Bob did here. The DOF/OOF right forewing is no problem. Keeping the nearest eye in focus is a real "must" also. Good work lightening up the coneflower, too. Nice work, Bob.