PDA

View Full Version : Must visits

Chris Baker
04-09-2009, 04:39 AM
Hi Guys,
You chaps must really be tired of the same ol' questions but here we go again. I'm arriving in Florida on the 18th April, Fort Myers 8 days, Kissimee 7 days. So far for F. Myers I've got Ding, Bunche Beach, Corkscrew, Tigertail Beach, Eagle Lakes, Venice and Fort de Soto. Kissimee- Joe Overstreet, Kaliga Park, Merrit and Viera, Gatorland and Lake Woodruff. I've never visited this time of year, usually Nov- Jan, am I going to the right places for the time of year? I've never seen Swallow tailed kite, stilts or the migrating warblers and only had poor connections with Caracara and snail kite. Anyone got any top tips, cross off some of the above and visit somewhere else- forget it you've missed it all!! I've been keeping an eye on the action you've been reporting and it seems as though I may have missed the boat, looks like the last 2 weeks in March next year. Corkscrew has been dead on my last 2 visits, it's been crazy for the last few weeks by all accounts! Anyway enough of this prattle, any inputs much appreciated,
Regards
Chris B

Fabs Forns
04-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Chris, the coast should be good all year round. I hear Overstreet is slow and so is Corkscrew. Swallow taileds are here, just luck getting one, unless you know where they nest and they change nesting place from one year to another. Viera Wetlands in Melbourne has a Caracara family, parents and two juveniles, that like to perch and fly against the sun ;)
You may want to take James' boat out of the Tampa area for a lot of Spoonbils and Pelicans with nesting material.

Enjoy your visit.

Maxis Gamez
04-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Hi Kris,

Looks like you have everything under control with many places to visit. I must suggest you to consider Burrowing Owls in Cape Coral. The time is right!

Good luck and hope to see your images!

James Shadle
04-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Fabs and Maxis both offer very good suggestions.

You can find the Burrowing Owls at the Cape Coral City Hall, Acadamy Blvd and SE 11TH ST.
And the Cape Coral Public Library, SW 39TH TER and SW 19th PL.
There are other locations, but these will keep you busy.

Thanks for supporting BPN with your membership.

Thanks James

Jim Kranick
04-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Sounds like a good list. MINWR was very dry a week ago :( so perhaps a phone call would be in order. But it is only 45 min from Viera so you could shoot Viera in the morning and then drive up midday for a look and lunch at Dixie Crossroads.

Chris Baker
04-13-2009, 04:01 AM
Thanks for your inputs folks, very kind. Owls my list, busy sounds good James, thank you.
Roll on Saturday!!
Regards
CB