PDA

View Full Version : Red-shouldered Hawk

Alex Abate
04-08-2009, 11:08 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3662/3425826582_1f6362ae84_b.jpg
Photo taken at Shark Valley, Everglades National Park. Shot with Canon 50D using a 200mm EF f2.8 lens at f8 with a shutter speed of 1/1000.
I cropped the center portion of the horizontal frame.

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-09-2009, 03:54 AM
Hi Alex

Nice first post and welcome too to BPN. The best place in cyberspace for nature photography and photographers.

I like the image, it is hard to comment though without knowing some more tech data, such as shutter speed, f/stop, iso, size of crop (if any).

From what I see, here are some suggestions, though I am no expert - far from it mate. :)

It appears a little constricted in the frame, i.e. too tightly framed. Or if it's a crop, then a looser crop would work with more space in front of the bird so it can hypothetically fly into the space. I really like the spread wings, and the head angle is almost very good, a little more turned in your direction would have been better as using a flash to fill the shadow areas under the wings, which still have some pleasing detail to my eyes.

Thanks for sharing and let's see some more nice images from you! :)

Alex Abate
04-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Hi Alex

Nice first post and welcome too to BPN. The best place in cyberspace for nature photography and photographers.

I like the image, it is hard to comment though without knowing some more tech data, such as shutter speed, f/stop, iso, size of crop (if any).

From what I see, here are some suggestions, though I am no expert - far from it mate. :)

It appears a little constricted in the frame, i.e. too tightly framed. Or if it's a crop, then a looser crop would work with more space in front of the bird so it can hypothetically fly into the space. I really like the spread wings, and the head angle is almost very good, a little more turned in your direction would have been better as using a flash to fill the shadow areas under the wings, which still have some pleasing detail to my eyes.

Thanks for sharing and let's see some more nice images from you! :)

Ákos, thanks for the suggestions. I am considering the alternate crop. I'll post it when it is ready. I added the exposure info to the post above.

Alex Abate
04-09-2009, 07:06 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3350/3426502106_dcdab5766d_b.jpg
Aside from the horizontal crop, I lightened the body of the bird.