F 7.1
ISO 400
1/1250 SS
Exp +1.0

Curves, Levels and USM After resizing
Crop from 2:3 ratio to 2:2.5 Ratio

Nate Chappell
04-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Great detail and eye contact here Gary, I think I would prefer a little more room on both the left and the right.

Gary Dumer
04-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Great detail and eye contact here Gary, I think I would prefer a little more room on both the left and the right.

Why, It adds nothing to the image!

Ramon M. Casares
04-08-2009, 09:47 PM
To hbe honest, by the thumbail I wouldn't have expected too much from this shot, but OhMyGod Gary, this is just superb! I only wish for a bit more room, easy fix IMO, but the pose, thestare, the light, detail, colors and strenght of this image are all simply stunnnig! Congratulaitons!

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-09-2009, 04:05 AM
Agree that it feels a little constricted with the minimal edge space, but I guess that is subjective. Would love to hear Artie's take on the comp.

I think it is awesome though, razor sharp, great pose and looks very much like it means business. Congrats Gary! :)

Duane Noblick
04-09-2009, 04:52 AM
Love the light, eye contact, color and you captured some amazing detail in this female Gary. I think the eyes is what keeps me looking at this one..very intense look and why I love these birds so much. How she is presented doesn't bother me...but that's my opinion. ;)

Wayne Wood
04-09-2009, 05:25 AM
Hey Buddy, beautiful shot of this species. Very sharp and the exposure is good, I don't really think that I would have cropped differently, if I did I may have left a bit more room on the right as the wing tip is a bit close to the edge of the frame

Fernando Cerra
04-09-2009, 06:27 AM
Gary, this shot is incredible it has tons of action, I also like the look on her eyes. From my point of view adding more canvas to the left and right would add a sense of freedom to the image.

Gary Dumer
04-09-2009, 07:52 AM
I want to Thank You All for your Honest Comments and I have Added canvas to the Right and to the Right and Left And it looks fine in a Larger Print but the Tighter Crop Brings more Focus to the Birds Eyes and IMO adds to the Intensity of the Image. A matter of Preferrence I guess!! I hope Artie has a Opinion!!

Arthur Morris
04-09-2009, 08:03 PM
My opinion is that it is much too tight for me. It is mega sharp with a cool pose. There is way too much yellow in the bird and the sky is too electric blue for me. <smile>

Tripod or handheld?

Arthur Morris
04-09-2009, 08:15 PM
My two cents, FWIW.

ps: Strange that nobody commented on the over-SAT and way off colors...

Kim Rollins
04-10-2009, 01:25 AM
Gary -
I have looked at this image many time and each time I was just kind of at a loss for words because I thought it was a very strong image and liked it in a way but there was just something about it that maybe I did not like too. I was just having trouble nailing down my thoughts and what to say about it.
I like the composition and the way the bird is spread in the sky and I think that is where much strength of the image comes from.
I do thing more sky to the sides would help, esp to the right.
Color-wise is where I have been a bit at a loss for words when looking at it. I see where Artie was going with it & in seeing his version, there is just still something amiss to me that I can not seem to pin point. I even took it into PS and worked a bit with several versions but something seems off to me. Did you happen to run quite a bit of Shadows and Highlights Adjustment during the steps in your post processing?