PDA

View Full Version : Boat-tailed Grackle

Fabs Forns
04-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Not an easy bird to capture, but I find that it has been easier to get with the 500/4, either hand-held or on tripod. Got them of three different locations!

D300, 500/4
f/5.6, 1/800, ISO 500

Daniel Cadieux
04-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Sweet pose Fabs! I love the light reflecting off the far wing. A bit more sharpening of the face and body would really put this over the top. Did you manipulate the white BG behind and around the subject or did you get lucky?

Fabs Forns
04-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Sweet pose Fabs! I love the light reflecting off the far wing. A bit more sharpening of the face and body would really put this over the top. Did you manipulate the white BG behind and around the subject or did you get lucky?

Got lucky, the whole sequence was sharp, so I picked this one. Another one looks really good too :)

Daniel Cadieux
04-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Cool! Lucky indeed for that aspect of the image...the rest is skill of course :-)

Stephen Stephen
04-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Very nice Fabs. This in-flight image is great and the open bill kicks it up another notch.

Randy Stout
04-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Fabs:

I thinks Daniel covered the pertinent technical points. Wonderful natural framing in background.

While in Florida earlier this spring, I spent some time trying to catch these guys while waiting for a pair of Ospreys to do something. I must say they are not easy, both because of their color and motion. I really like the exposure and light angle that high lighted their iridescence. At least they are pretty noisy, both voice and the sounds of their flight, so you can hear them coming!!

Cheers

Randy

Ramon M. Casares
04-08-2009, 09:58 PM
I just want to say that from the thumbail it looked like the bird was blowing the green out of the frame :) I like it.

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Hi Fabs,

Very nice flight image, as Ramon said, the BG looks really good the way the grackle appears to be blowing it. :) Well done.