PDA

View Full Version : Wild Stallion "Snaking"

david cramer
04-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Snaking is the term used to refer to a stallion's controlling his band by extending his head far and low and running along side any stray mares to bring them back to the fold. He'll also "snake" his band away from any other stallions that may be showing an interest in his mares. I've been photographing this fellow quite a lot lately, as his band is rather habituated to people, allowing me closer access than I would normally get to a wild band. You can see his scars on his face acquired in recent battles. Presently, he taking off after a mare that has strayed too far.

http://davidwcramer.smugmug.com/photos/508456583_CYmiu-O.jpg

D300, f/5.6, 1/4000, iso 400, ev -0.33

Steve Canuel
04-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Interesting pose and thanks for the notes on the behavior. Always like hearing the story behind an image. 2+ years in ABQ and I never even heard of these guys being around. This one doesn't seem up to your usual high standards of detail and exposure. I realize the proximity to civilization of this herd but I prefer to see your images of these guys without the elements of mankind in the BG. Mostly because I like to think of them roaming the wide open west of old.

Robert Amoruso
04-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Interesting story and glad to know what that was on his face. Agree with Steve on the IQ.

Sabyasachi Patra
04-11-2009, 03:55 AM
David,
I agree with Steve regarding the IQ and the BG. Interesting story. It is good to always hear your stories behind the images.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

david cramer
04-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Comments appreciated. The light had gotten strong by the time some action started, thus the IQ is not what I would wish for. The signs of civilization in the background are farm fields along the Rio Grande.

Tim Cee
04-12-2009, 10:43 AM
David, I recently captured some HD Video and Still Images on a few trips and was fortunate to observe this snaking behavior along with some Rare Ups and Stallion fights. It made a Horse lover of me and was really fascinating to see them in the wild.
Wild Mustangs can be very easilly observed and imaged in a 100% wild environment on the Badland Plains of Cody, Wyoming. Anybody planning a trip to nearby Yellowostone should definitely include a stop in Cody as these wild horses are well worth the time to go see and capture. I can share some insight and location info if anybody needs it.