PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Sunset

Steve Bein
04-08-2009, 03:30 PM
This is a blend of sky and mountain exposures. I tried this in HDR, but blending and erasing the undesired exposure area is what worked best. it is not the greatest sunset image, but pleasing to me.
5-D, 24-105@105 exposed for foreground and blended with background. the burn, dodge, saturation brushes.

david cramer
04-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Beautiful colors in this one. I imagine a web jpg doesn't do this justice. There is a dark line running across some of the mountaintop. Was that there, or is it an artifact of the postprocessing?

Roman Kurywczak
04-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Hey Steve,
The PP'ing does look a bit funky....as the mountain looks a bit unreal.....go back and re-visit some of the tweaks.....and you will have a winner here.

Stefan Jonsson
04-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Wow!
Love the color in the sky and lots of details in the mountain.
Nice!

Robert Amoruso
04-09-2009, 06:08 AM
Steve, Well worth the extra effort the tweak the tonality of this image. Sky is quite dynamic and against the darker mountains, really balances well as you cropped it.

Kaushik Balakumar
04-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Surely liked the colours in the sky here. But I see a distinct dark masking artifact all along the "mountain-sky" edge.

Paul Marcellini
04-09-2009, 08:56 PM
A really nice sunset, well worth reworking. I tried what I could real quick with the limitations of the jpeg and not seeing the scene.

There is a strong green cast to his. I used color balance to ad some some yellow/magenta/red in midtones and shadows. I hit the mountains with contrast and dropped the exposure on them. For that time of day they were too bright. I could be off, I wasn't there, but I have seen enough sunsets.

On looking again, I think my mountains went a touch purple, probably should add some yellow into the shadows.

Grady Weed
04-10-2009, 04:26 AM
Pauls is better, but it still needs some re-work. Must have been a real eye pleaser, this scene as it unfolded.