denise ippolito
04-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Canon 5D
100mm Macro
ISO 100
1/100 sec. at f/8
HH

Natural light-cloudy day
I did a tighter crop but liked how it looked against the BG so left it larger.

Kaushik Balakumar
04-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Like this composition Denise. I might not prefer a total tight crop on this either; but might crop a few pixels from the bottom to avoid the brown OOF foliage on the left-bottom-corner. I like the way the stem curves - which would be lost on a tight crop. Also the OOF BG provides subtle/non-distracting design.
Wonder if it was possible to get a better DOF so as to keep the whole bud sharp (say by focusing very slightly in front)...?

Julie Kenward
04-08-2009, 07:30 PM
I agree with Kaushik about the focus but girl, that is a humdinger of a composition! You drew my eye right in and I had to look twice to find the part that was OOF on the bud! Love that curvy stem!!!

One other suggestion would be to use the clone tool at about 30% set to lighten and go over the black BG areas with the green and see if that doesn't blend that BG just a bit more so it's less stark. Just a thought!

Richard Lovison
04-08-2009, 08:57 PM
What drew my attention is what is happening in the fold of the opening bud. There seems to be a glowing energy there.

denise ippolito
04-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks everyone -good suggestions!
Kaushik- I will crop some off the bottom-good thought, also I will try to shoot this again and go for more DOF
Richard, I liked that part the best and tried to focus on it-so it would stand out

Don Lacy
04-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Very nice image the white of the opening Bud this draws your eye and holds it, well done.

Gus Cobos
04-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Well composed and executed Lady Denise,
I like the central white area of the bud, it draws you in...good show...:cool:

Ed Vatza
04-10-2009, 04:08 AM
Agree about the focus but other than that this is a super image. Love the green on green and the detail in the little hairy things until they go oof. I think you've captured the tension of the bud ready to explode open. Well done.