PDA

View Full Version : Leucistic Yellow Spotted Salamander

john crookes
04-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Was out at the vernal pools last Friday night photographing the usual suspects when we refound and was able to photograph this Leucistic Salamander.

Very high odds of finding one and yet we have seen this one for two years now but was never able to photograph it.

Salamander was released back to the pool after we got a couple of pictures

Nikon D3
105 vr macro lens
F8
ISO 400
1/180th
controlled under a light tent with two sb-900's and two sb-200's filling the light needs

Gus Cobos
04-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Hi John,
I like the composition..the depth of field is very good, with the proper selective focus point...I like the colors on your salamander...good show...:cool:

Julie Kenward
04-08-2009, 07:21 PM
A couple of small suggestions for you, John. I'd consider cloning out both the light reflection on his lips and the small green piece of plant life at his back hip. Those are two small easy-to-remove distractions.

For me, I'd also consider cropping some from the right side just because that is some majorly ugly stuff in the BG - especially since it is so light in color. You might consider blurring/darkening it a bit so the eye stays on the salamander instead of wandering back to that rock/stump.

In a perfect world, I'd ask for a bit more DOF. I would have liked the front greenery and the first half of the mushroom to be more in focus because it is really interesting habitat and would have probably added even more focus to the salamander. I do like that you got the head and front half nice and sharp - might also consider a little bit more sharpening on just the eye.

Again...these are all little things that could add even more to an already nice image. Next time, try getting dark tones in your BG if possible and maybe play with a few frames of f11-f18 and see what you think.

Mike Moats
04-10-2009, 06:59 AM
Hey John, I spend a lot of time shooting in a couple vernal ponds where I live, there great places to shoot. A salamander is something I've never seen in all my time in these areas, but I.m usually in these areas in the middle of the day. Good focus on the eyes and head, and the DOF works fine, but a wouldn't of minded a little more foucs on the BG.