PDA

View Full Version : More herding

Jim Poor
04-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Herding breedss work by mimicking a predator to move the flock / herd around while other breeds guard the flock / herd from real predators with vigilance and, when needed, fighting them off.

Everyone has a job to do.

Here is one where the dog is moving the ducks into the pen. You can also see a gate in the background. The dog had to move the duck through that gate, out into the middle of the ring and then around another piece of fencing before coming to the center pen.

Then it was out of the pen and back to the holding area where the ducks were crated to rest while the next set came out for the next dog.

All this with a time limit and just some verbal cues and use of the staff as a giant conductor's baton.

Pretty amazing.

http://www.pbase.com/jimpoor/image/111046663/original.jpg

Alfred Forns
04-07-2009, 09:46 AM
... what about the ducks Jim ? They must be terrified or are they used to the dog?

Interesting why I never thought that sheep could be feeling the same way. Those dogs are amazing !!

Jim Poor
04-07-2009, 09:59 AM
You know, I did think about that a lot during the day. The sheep definitely acted more afraid than the ducks did.

There is a lot of effort put in to making sure none of the critters get hurt, but I'm sure they get scared. Not sure if I like that for "sport." On a real farm, with a real herd is a totally different story.

Edit: Oh, one of the things I learned was that a good performance has no running or chasing at all. It moves very slowly and the work is done from a distance. Of course, with the newer inexperienced dogs, there was a bit of running and chasing. The handlers that thought their dogs were getting too hyped up, pulled them off the field in the middle of the run.

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-07-2009, 10:38 AM
What an interesting image and the story it tells. Thanks for sharing all of this with us Jim. It is just fascinating how they learn.

Alfred Forns
04-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the info Jim ... maybe the ducks have special benefits :)

Mike Tracy
04-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Herding ducks ? If I was a duck I would say no dog is telling me what to do and fly away.

Learn something new every day.

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Great story Jim. Those herders are super smart. I guess that dog in your picture is an Australian Shepherd? Not that it is an Aussie breed at all. :)

Jim Poor
04-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Yep that's an aussie. All but two of them were. The border collie out did them all though. The other odd dog out was a cattle dog.

Gus Cobos
04-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Who's working who Jim???:eek::D:p I think the ducks are working the dog, by playing follow the leader...:cool: