PDA

View Full Version : Siberian Squill (Scilla Siberica)

Ed Vatza
04-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Yesterday morning I returned to the area along my local creek where I had found the Spring Beauty the day before. As I walked along the bank, something caught me eye. There amongst all the dried weeds from last year was one tiny blue flower poking it head through. I got down on my knees and tried clearing out some of the weeds. Then I was down on my belly trying to capture the solitary tiny blue flower. It's shape was so different that I thought it was be a snap to identify. Well it wasn't that easy. It wasn't in my guidebooks and it took a bit of searching around the internet before I could positively identify it as Siberian Squill. This is the first time I have seen this flower.

Image made using a Canon 30D; Sigma 150mm Macro lens; Canon 430 EX Flash w/ LumiQuest Softbox; handheld (even the little beanbag/pod I had raised the camera up too high).

1/40 sec @ f/8; ISO 400; 0 EV; FEC -1

Gus Cobos
04-07-2009, 05:29 AM
Hi Ed,
I like the composition, image and capture, the framing of your flower is just right. I like the color rendition and the soft texture...:cool:

Ed Vatza
04-07-2009, 06:18 AM
This is a second image of this flower that I also like. It is more of a "back door" view with slightly different light. I'm just presenting here for comparison.

I was about to say that the color in the first is truer but it really does depend on the light, doesn't it?

denise ippolito
04-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Ed, I like the focus better on the second one but the colors in the flower on the first one-Wow!! Thanks for sharing your unusual find!!

Jackie Schuknecht
04-07-2009, 08:38 AM
What a colour Ed. Is it in the process of opening up? Unusual piece at the top of the stem too. Lovely BG in the 2nd.

Joseph Martines
04-07-2009, 11:05 AM
My preference is the first one.

What a little gem you found and captured.

THanks for sharing.

Julie Kenward
04-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Those grow all over the place around here...but now I know their name thanks to your hard work!

I definitely prefer the second - the first feels OOF to me and that's not like your images. I love the BG in both and the blue is deeper in the first but that second has a much better overall feel to me.

Ed Vatza
04-07-2009, 04:11 PM
the first feels OOF to me and that's not like your images. I love the BG in both and the blue is deeper in the first but that second has a much better overall feel to me.

I have to say that I agree with you, Jules.

I like the comp on the first better but it seemed soft to me. The second is better but I am not as thrilled with the back door comp. I have others but the backgrounds don't thrill me.

So what to do? I am going back out this evening and see if I can find it again and give it another try. If I can't find it, I'll just have to come to your place! :D

Mike Moats
04-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Hey Ed, like the second better, more focus on the stem.

Ed Cordes
04-07-2009, 08:47 PM
As all have said the colors are wonderful. I agree the lower area of the front petal of the first image looks OOF. The second image is not as pleasing a comp, but better focused.

Ed Vatza
04-07-2009, 08:59 PM
OK, I went back tonight and there was no Siberian Squill to be found. So I went back through my images from Sunday and found this one. Very similar to the first but I think the focus is a bit better. Your thoughts?

George Scott
04-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Ed, I preferred the color in the first but it did seem soft to me, which the second image fixed. I think the third version captures the color and has better focus - lovely image
George

Richard Lovison
04-08-2009, 07:26 AM
Ed,

Overall I like the third image best. I like the way the flower is positioned in the first and third shots over the second and the third is a bit sharper in the front petal and stem over the first. I prefer the slightly warmer colors in the second over the colder bluer tones of the first and third.