PDA

View Full Version : Snowgeese into the morning sun

Terry Olmsted
01-29-2008, 12:00 AM
Taken on a foggy and frosty morning on the Skagit Flats of NW Washington. This is a full frame image. I was not able to get both the sun rays and the leading edge of the flight in the same frame. I have hesitated posting this image because of the composition, and would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

One other question, I find that many environmental images with birds do not fit well into the categories of galleries we have - or at least the typical posts there. I have tended to this type in 'landscapes.'

Canon XTi 400mm f 5.6 1/4000s f5.6 ISO 800 ex co 0 one-shot AF

Fabs Forns
01-29-2008, 12:36 AM
Hi Terry,

A stunning image I would be proud to post in the Wild and Free Avian Forum. There is nothing wrong with habitat images except there is no enough of them :)

Terry Olmsted
01-29-2008, 02:33 AM
Thanks very much for your kind comment, Fab. I will start posting this type in the Wild and Free Avian Forum - who knows maybe we can start a trend :)

Nonda Surratt
01-29-2008, 10:02 AM
What Fab's said. This is a lovely image!

Alfred Forns
01-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Love the image Terry !!!! Clean upper and lower edges Birds in great position and what a feel !!!! With these you can experiment with density and they take totally different look and feel Hoping to see much more of these types I enjoy them to the Max !!!! Big Congrats !!!!

Fabs Forns
01-29-2008, 03:12 PM
To elaborate on Alfred's idea, I downloaded and duplicate the background copy and used Linear Burn as the bending mode. then went to Hue/Saturation and maxed the Reds.

A totally different image :)

No better, no worse, just different! Two for the price of one :D
And i cloned out two clipped ones in top right an left.

Dick Boone
01-29-2008, 07:49 PM
I liked the original, but Fabs, your adjustments just take my breath away! From a calm, peaceful morning scene to DY-NO-MITE! :D

God bless.....Dick

Terry Olmsted
01-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Wow, Fabs! I like the edit! Thanks for the suggestion and help

By the way, Fabs. I looked at your Bosque video - wish I had sound to go with this image too! The geese make and amazing sound.

Travis Novitsky
02-05-2008, 02:46 AM
Hi Terry,

I am new here but not to photography....this is my first post on this site, however. I see nothing at all inherently "wrong" with your composition. If its un-cropped, I say you did a fine job from the start and would not crop any of it to change the composition. While it would have been neat to see the leading edge of the birds, it would have been too much of a shame to lose those sun rays. Be proud of it as I think its a fantastic image!

Travis