PDA

View Full Version : Oystercatcher pair

Grace Scalzo
04-06-2009, 09:43 AM
I had to think hard to create this image. First I had to approach this sweet pair in a way that did not cause them to separate and run and lower my tripod to get the angle that I wanted. Then I had to choose an f-stop that allowed me to get them both sharp and focus properly. This is the result. Thank you for looking and for your comments.

f13, ISO 400, 1/640 (Incident metered and compensation dialed in for the whites and confirmed via histogram check)

Canon 50D, 500 mm f4 + 1.4tc + lowered tripod

Randy Stout
04-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Grace:

Your hard work paid off. Very nice image. I am most impressed with the exposure control. Not only are the whites good, but I often see the red channel blown on the beak. Looks good here.

I like the symmetry of their bills and heads. Nice low angle, pleasing background, sharp.

In a perfect world, I wish the shadow of the bill wasn't there, but that is a minor point.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
04-06-2009, 11:28 AM
What I like best about this is how you saw the situation, took your time to devise a strategy, and once thought out you delivered. I agree with Randy about the shadow (especially the bill). Would also look into toning down the leg a bit to bring out the pink/flesh colour on it. I'd personally prefer a slightly beter head angle on the standing bird. Very well executed and enjoyable to look at :-)

Fabs Forns
04-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Very nicely done, it pays to plan your image, you are creating there :)

I wonder if moving to the right would have been an option, for better angles and maybe minimize the shadow?

Grace Scalzo
04-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Fabs, great question about moving to the right, and I had to look back through this series to find the answer. I have one image where the standing bird has a nice head angle toward me, no shadow. Laying down bird, turned away. (Looking at the ocean). Had he turned and looked at me as I must have seen, there would have been no shadow. Hard to get two to cooperate! I have another with diff poses that I'll share tomorrow, maybe a bit more pleasing as there are no shadows.

Stu Bowie
04-06-2009, 02:18 PM
These guys are my favourite marine birds, and you have produced an excellent image here Grace. Brilliant exposure, lovely low angle, and overall, the colours are amazing. Congrats.

LouBuonomo
04-06-2009, 03:20 PM
See it pays to think !! Hopefully this pair will give as a few little ones to pay with in the summer !

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Lovely low angle, don't mind the shadow, but yes, would have been a bit different without it. PErhaps nicer, perhaps not? Colors look superb!

Axel Hildebrandt
04-07-2009, 08:44 AM
I like the mood and use of DOF. I'm with Fabs on moving to the right.