PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Owl - Gotcha

Brian Wong
04-05-2009, 08:28 PM
EOS 40D, 70-200/2.8 at ~120mm
1/4000, f/5, ISO 400, handheld, manual exposure metered on snow, and confirmed on histogram
baited

Snowy Owl - Gotcha

Image of Snowy Owl photographed last month in Quebec Canada. Trying this unconventional image, and would like your opinion about this absolutely ENORMOUS crop (seems to be about 1x1 pixel from the original)! Extra effort was attempted with the noise/sharpness/blowup issues, and I realize not perfect, but I am still amazed that anything even came out! Lots of PS desaturation also applied on the bird & wings ... my thought was to try emphasizing only three main elements ... with it suggesting some mystery of a predator suddenly coming out from the background.

Do you think it works?

Thank you for looking, and your suggestions are always appreciated.

Arthur Morris
04-05-2009, 08:41 PM
I love the effects. When I looked at the thumbnail, I thought that it was a painting After opening it, it still looks like a painting. Is that a vole or bait? (We do ask that you indicate if an image is baited even if it is obvious.) The talons are insane!

Jim Neiger
04-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Way cool, Brian! Prey, talons ready to strike, and the stare of the hunter. Simple and beautiful.

Brian Wong
04-05-2009, 08:58 PM
I love the effects. When I looked at the thumbnail, I thought that it was a painting After opening it, it still looks like a painting. Is that a vole or bait? (We do ask that you indicate if an image is baited even if it is obvious.) The talons are insane!

Hi Artie!

Thank you, and yes I indicated "baited" in the small print at the top along with my exposure data. It was a mouse.

~~~
Hi Jim! Thank you! How have you been? Can't wait to see more of your stuff!

~~~

.... This is way cool ... I am learning from all the best!!

Doug Brown
04-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Too cool Brian! I'm always amazed at how incredibly focused birds get when they are ready to strike!

Stu Bowie
04-06-2009, 12:32 AM
Icredible photography Brian. Those talons can sure do some damage, and I really like the concentrated look on the snowy. Great capture.

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-06-2009, 01:06 AM
Poor mouse! :( Just out of curiousity how many mice does (did) it take to get something of this nature? Are they specially bred for photographic purposes? How do you keep it still while you wait for the owl to attack it? Are you in a hide as well? Thanks. :)

Tony Whitehead
04-06-2009, 02:47 AM
Eye catching image - is the yellow cast representative of the light at the time?

Kim Rollins
04-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Almost minimalistic but to powerful to be so.
Love it.

Equisite imaging and processing.
http://bestsmileys.com/thumbs/2.gif http://bestsmileys.com/thumbs/2.gif

Brian Wong
04-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Poor mouse! :( Just out of curiousity how many mice does (did) it take to get something of this nature? Are they specially bred for photographic purposes? How do you keep it still while you wait for the owl to attack it? Are you in a hide as well? Thanks. :)

Thank you everybody for all the nice feedbacks, and encouragements.

Hi Akos!

We found a few Snowy Owls, and most were very hungry due to a recent rain that froze over the fields. Some were more "friendly", while others (especially adult males = all white) just flew away. I am told that they (the adults) are better hunters, and so tend to avoid us. I am told that the Snowy Owls are territorial, and seem to space themselves from each other. The mouse was free to roam, and we did not need or use a hide. The Snowy Owl's eye sight is so keep that they can easily spot them from way across the field ... so we did not have to wait long at all.

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Thank you everybody for all the nice feedbacks, and encouragements.

Hi Akos!

We found a few Snowy Owls, and most were very hungry due to a recent rain that froze over the fields. Some were more "friendly", while others (especially adult males = all white) just flew away. I am told that they (the adults) are better hunters, and so tend to avoid us. I am told that the Snowy Owls are territorial, and seem to space themselves from each other. The mouse was free to roam, and we did not need or use a hide. The Snowy Owl's eye sight is so keep that they can easily spot them from way across the field ... so we did not have to wait long at all.

Thank you Brian. Wow, those talons are mean! :) Great and very arty image indeed. Thanks again.

denise ippolito
04-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Brian, Thia is very artistic and a thrilling image to see!!