PDA

View Full Version : This one actually has ducks in it!

Jim Poor
04-05-2009, 05:35 PM
I learned a lot this weekend about herding.

Alfred Forns
04-05-2009, 07:39 PM
... first time I've seen a duck herding dog :) .. has them in line :)

denise ippolito
04-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Jim, That is so funny ! Does he do that for shows ?

Jim Poor
04-06-2009, 08:43 AM
This was at the herding competition I worked at this weekend. There was a duck pen and a sheep pen.

In June there will be cattle as well. Some of the dogs were simply amazing. Great control too since none of them actually bit or harmed a duck or sheep.

Jim Poor
04-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Here's another with Bill and Baaaaa.

Bill was the only Border Collie and he (IMO) out shined the Aussies with technique on his first run.

Bill is also blind in his right eye.

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-06-2009, 11:29 AM
These are just priceless Jim. Love the great action captured in both. They really brought a smile to my face. Many thanks for sharing.

Gus Cobos
04-06-2009, 05:00 PM
This is wild Jim...so who ran faster the dog or the ducks...:eek::D Love the action here...:cool:

Fabs Forns
04-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Bill is quite a trip :)

Axel Hildebrandt
04-07-2009, 09:19 AM
That can't be easy to line up all these ducks. :)

Jim Poor
04-07-2009, 09:26 AM
Nope not easy at all! They also had to navigate an obstacle course by herding the duck through various "gates" and then into a little pen in the center of the field. After that, they had to get the ducks out of the pen and move them back to the start point where they were moved out to rest while a new set of ducks went in with the next dog.

Bruce Gove
04-08-2009, 12:08 AM
Here's another with Bill and Baaaaa.

Bill was the only Border Collie and he (IMO) out shined the Aussies with technique on his first run.

Bill is also blind in his right eye.

Hey Jim,

Nice image!!! Border Collies (BC's), I've recently learned are the dogs of choice for owners who compete in competitions here in N. CA. There was a big competition in Sonoma County two weekends ago, and there's another this August near the OR, CA border. Most all of the competitors are sheep ranchers who love to compete with their dogs in their spare time!! I've got an 8 month old, brown BC named Buddy - rescued him from a litter of 4 that were all snapped up in just a few hours when they were 9 wks. I posted an image of him a few weeks ago. He hasn't become any less intense and demanding of my attention, and although he's never seen a sheep in his life, I bet one of these ranchers could train him!! I've spent a lot of time training him in basic obedience, but Buddy is not going to be a sheep dog:D:D

Cheers,
Bruce