PDA

View Full Version : Frost Laden Skipper

John Cooper
01-28-2008, 10:33 PM
This alpine Skipper was heavily laden with frost when I first came across it shortly before sunrise. The time I set my gear up, some of the ice had melted but some evidence of ice remains.
These alpine insects can survive with temperatures down to minus 5 degrees celsius and sometimes lower due to a built-in antifreeze in their blood.

Canon EOS 3, Canon 100mm Macro, Velvia 50, 1 sec F16, natural light, Tripod.

Ed Cordes
01-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Dare I say "COOL"? I do like the composition a lot. I also like the behavior depicted. If I were to try to find a nit it would be that it might be a bit better if the Skipper were a bit lower in the frame. Still good as is however.

Romy Ocon
01-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Wow....amazing creature superbly captured.... I almost can't believe it's alive with those ice crystals.

Romy

Kaushik Balakumar
01-29-2008, 04:28 AM
liked this image a lot ...

rgds,
Kaushik

Matthew Pugh
01-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Hi
What a great looking skipper - and one wonderful image
He sure is a wet little chap, poor thing
But a lovely shot, and I like the subject placement, it works because of the perch effect
All the best
Matthew

Robert O'Toole
01-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi John,

Where was the shot taken?

I like the image, the details are very nice. I would maybe crop with the perch more vertical, that way the blade tip would have more room to the edge.

Thanks for posting.

Robert

John Cooper
01-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Hi John,

Where was the shot taken?

I like the image, the details are very nice. I would maybe crop with the perch more vertical, that way the blade tip would have more room to the edge.

Thanks for posting.

Robert
Hi Robert, this was taken in the Kanangra Boyd NP, NSW - not far from the Jenolan Caves.

Mike Moats
01-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Hey John, very nice. Excellent details through out and great job on the BG.