PDA

View Full Version : Hanging By A Thread

Julie Kenward
04-05-2009, 10:24 AM
I wound up at the local botanical garden yesterday for a couple of hours to photograph the orchid exhibit. I had so many to choose from but this one really cracked me up by the way it was hanging mid-air...almost like it was waving the insects in for a landing!

Canon 40D, EF 70-200mm f/4L
f 5.6 @ 1/250th, ISO 400
Manual mode, pattern metering, Sunny WB
Natural light & flash fired

Processed in ACR & CS4; minor crop and levels adjustments, sharpening.

Jackie Schuknecht
04-05-2009, 01:32 PM
This looks FF Julie. It looks like a little person bowing to me. It really shows up well with the darker green BG. Well seen.

John Lowin
04-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Good exposure and composition, I like the bright yellow against the green bg. I'm a little troubled with so much of the flower being OOF. The large green leaf in the LRC, although it points to the blossom, seems so dominant it takes my attention away from the subject. - John

Julie Kenward
04-05-2009, 05:33 PM
John, the legs of the plant actually were more sharpened before I downsized it for the web. I do agree about that one leaf, though...nothing I could do to get around it so I tried to make it part of the scene. I might go back and try to mute it some more.

Kaushik Balakumar
04-05-2009, 07:17 PM
From the thumbnail I thought this was a spider. This is a beautiful looking flower Jules. And u've mentioned about the leaf in ur comment. I don't see it as much of a problem.

Gus Cobos
04-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Very well composed Julie,
I like the sharp punch of the bold, rich, saturated colors, and the spider like illusion of your flower...good show...:cool:

Ed Vatza
04-07-2009, 05:12 AM
Very unusual flower even for an orchid! I like the way you captured it here. The composition is very nice. And you did manage to wok in that leaf so it is not a distraction. Nice job!