PDA

View Full Version : Northern Flicker tail feather

George Scott
04-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Another one from the feather series I took this winter - the colors on some of the feathers are absolutely amazing so they make great subjects. I had wondered about the crop (vert vs diag) and found that since it was a large feather, the shaft appeared too imposing to have diagonally

Nikon D300
Sigma 150mm f/2.8
f/13
1/3s (Gitzo tripod)
ISO 100
Lightbox

Comments welcome
Thanks
George

Julie Kenward
04-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Perfect choice of composition and thank you for including how you made your decision. We're all here to learn from each other and it's great when photographers let us inside their heads so we know why they did what they did.

You really seemed to nail this one. You have a little section in the ULC that isn't quite as perfectly in focus but I really had to look for it. The orange against the black is stunning and really holds the eye. Nice work!

Dave Mills
04-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Hi George...Very interesting series. This is well handled technically. It seems like your doing a whole series on this and with enough variances would make a neat show. At the Brooklyn Bot Gard I once saw a show on various tree barks done in a vert pano format. It was simply great! I think your on to something different!

Mike Moats
04-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Hey George, another very nice and well done image. It doesn't have the nice contrast in color like the first one, but still looks good.

Gus Cobos
04-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Hi George,
I like this very much, nice simple, elegant diagonal lines...good show...:cool:

Kaushik Balakumar
04-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Beautiful texture & pattern !
This image is creating a strong optical illusion. The left edge of the frame looks tapered as we move from bottom to top & the whole shape of the frame looks like a trapezoid (even though we know it is rectangular) !!!!!
I'm not sure if others notice it or is it just "my illusion" !
I like this image.

Ed Vatza
04-07-2009, 05:14 AM
Beautiful! Did you vacuum the feather? It looks so clean. Usually you see dust and dander. Nothing like that here. Excellent comp. Love the pattern.