PDA

View Full Version : Just a Couple of Beasts

John Lowin
04-04-2009, 08:26 PM
This Wildebeest panorama was created in the Mara Triangle. It is composed of two images merged in ps. On this safari we were fortunate to have seen tens of thousands of wildebeest. This herd stretched as far as our eyes could see in two directions. An absolutely amazing experience. The darker area at the right end is the shadow of an enormous ridge that shields this vast plain. Hope you like my image. These are slide scans so no detailed exposure data is available. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn. - John

Nikon F5
Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S
Kodak E100 VS

Jackie Schuknecht
04-05-2009, 10:10 AM
I really like this pano John, and it looks like you managed to get all the wildebeests in the frame without cutting any of them. Nice DOF. If I were to be really picky I would say just clone out the few clumps of green grass that are intersecting at the bottom of the frame. Must have been quite a sight.

Robert Amoruso
04-06-2009, 05:49 AM
This came out really well John and you did perfect capturing the feel of the scene. It looks expansive and with all the Wildebeest you conveyed the feeling of thousands of them. The tree trees on the right are well placed.

I agree with Jackie on the lower edge cloning. Good looking slide scan too.

John Lowin
04-06-2009, 08:38 AM
This came out really well John and you did perfect capturing the feel of the scene. It looks expansive and with all the Wildebeest you conveyed the feeling of thousands of them. The tree trees on the right are well placed.

I agree with Jackie on the lower edge cloning. Good looking slide scan too.

Thank you both, Jackie and Robert! I cloned out the grass clumps that intersected the lower edge and I changed the tonality of the shadow at the right end of the image. Do you like this better? - John

Jackie Schuknecht
04-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Nice edit John, like the grass removed. Think I like the shadow lightened too. Nice job of PP. Hope you can make a print of this.

John Lowin
04-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Nice edit John, like the grass removed. Think I like the shadow lightened too. Nice job of PP. Hope you can make a print of this.

Thanks Jackie, appreciate your comments. I actually changed the color of the right end. - John

Roman Kurywczak
04-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Hey John,
Nice job portraying the herd and the re-post is right on. Tough to get all those animals and convey the sense of place.......think you have done that very well. Would I wish for better light angle......sure......but as presented......nicely handled.