PDA

View Full Version : They're Back

Don Lacy
04-04-2009, 04:31 PM
My 40D developed a terminal case of Err99 the other day and since I am going to the west coast in two weeks and I needed a camera I ordered a 50D from Amazon to try out and figured I would sell the 40D if I liked it better. After about a hundred frames it now has an Err30 problem and it will be going back to Amazon add the fact that I had to send a brand new 70-200 f/4 IS that was incapable of producing a sharp image back to B&H last week me and Canon are not on speaking terms right now:(

One good thing from this morning the Dragons are back and when I finally get a working camera I hope to have some nice images to post this summer.

50D, 500f/4 +1.4TC + 25mm Ext Tube, 1/100 at f/13 ( the 50D still produces extremely sharp images even with diffraction at smaller apertures this image needed less sharpening then my 40D files), Manual, Evaluative Metered +2/3,Flash at -1 2/3, Raw, ISO 400, Tripod, Full Frame ( the more I look at it the more I think I should crop a little of the top and Bottom)

Randy Stout
04-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Don:

I really like dragon flies.

This is nice. I like the feel, but agree about a crop change. I would be inclined to crop up to just above the small leaf/reed in the RLC.

I like the repeating lines in the background from other reeds. I might hit the head with another round of USM.

Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Julie Kenward
04-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Nice one, Don! Sorry to hear about the camera issues...that would be my worst nightmare. UGH!

I love the DF...I do think the wings are perfect but the body/head feels a bit light - maybe a twinge more contrast there? I like the comp you have because of the grass at the bottom but you're right in that it's a bit long for the size of the DF. My suggestions would be if you have CS4 to do try the Content Aware Scale and see if that brings the bottom closer to the DF.

Gus Cobos
04-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Hi Don,
I like your capture...agree with Julie on the techs...might also add that the white areas in the body are a tad on the warm side, might want to tone them down slightly...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Stefan Jonsson
04-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Sad to hear about your problems, hope you will be on speaking terms with the cameras soon...
Lovely picture with a extreamly sharpness and a stunning background.
Thumbs up!