PDA

View Full Version : The Postman always rings twice

Randy Stout
04-04-2009, 01:24 PM
OK. Here is another one from the Meijer butterfly garden. This one has a bit more room all around, and I liked the fact that there is a lighter area of background behind the head, which tends to blend into a really dark background.

I was just a bit out of plane with the wings, and although the head is good, as is the upper wing, the lower wing is a bit soft on the trailing edge.

D700 100-300 AIS zoom manual focus SB800 on manual Removed a leaf from left lower corner in NX2

Comments appreciated as always.

Randy

Gus Cobos
04-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Well done Randy,
I like the composition, image and capture...the color rendition is very good, along with the fine details in the wings...the background compliment your subject quite well...this is beautiful...good show...:cool:

Randy Stout
04-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks Gus:

I was really trying to avoid the overly obvious 'flashed look'. I know many people don't like flash for butterflies, but I am not good enough to work in that environment without it. No tripod, no monopod, people bumping into you. You have to see it and shoot it!

Randy

denise ippolito
04-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Randy, This is beautiful -the composition is interesting and I like the slight angle of your butterfly.

PS- I just love the title!!

Don Lacy
04-04-2009, 05:00 PM
It is not easy to make nice images in a BF house and while I would have wished for a more uniform BG this is still a nice image.

Julie Kenward
04-04-2009, 07:30 PM
I agree with everyone's comments - this is definitely an improvement over the first image which was nice in its own right. I do think there might be a little noise still in the BG. You did an excellent job of getting the BF in the focal plane, especially at the front where his head and legs are - that's really important in a good macro.

Nicely done, Randy.

Richard Lovison
04-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Beautiful image. I also like this better than the first one presented.

Jules -- the noise you are referring to I believe has more to do with jpeg compression than noise generated by the camera sensor.

Stefan Jonsson
04-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Lovely picture and background!