PDA

View Full Version : Banana Blossom and earwigs

John Lowin
04-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Image created on "The Road to Hana", Maui, Hawaii. Hope you like my image. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn.

f/2.8 1/200 ISO 100
Canon SD500
Canon 8-23 @7.7MM
hh

Kaushik Balakumar
04-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Such a beautiful looking plantain flower. Not seen many photography of this. Love that pink. In Indian sub-continent, this flower looks crimson red (we also make a curry out of this ! ). Love the texture on the petals.
Not sure of the BG (looks bit cluttered near the top of the frame), but I suppose one can't help when it comes to large sized plantain flower like this one.

Don Lacy
04-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Well exposed and the the Pink petals do have some wonderful texture I also agree with Kaushik on the BG not sure if you could have gotten a better one but I sure would have tried with such a nice subject

Julie Kenward
04-04-2009, 07:27 PM
I couldn't figure out how you got such a deep DOF with an f/2.8...then I realized it was a point-n-shoot camera. That makes a big difference! I do love the flower and even like the large leaves in the BG but there is a lot going on back there and I find it pulling some of my attention from the main subject.

One thing to remember is to always walk around the plant and try to see where you can get the best light on the subject and still maintain a distraction-free BG. I think you came very close here but it is still a lot going on.

John Lowin
04-04-2009, 08:42 PM
I couldn't figure out how you got such a deep DOF with an f/2.8...then I realized it was a point-n-shoot camera. That makes a big difference! I do love the flower and even like the large leaves in the BG but there is a lot going on back there and I find it pulling some of my attention from the main subject.

One thing to remember is to always walk around the plant and try to see where you can get the best light on the subject and still maintain a distraction-free BG. I think you came very close here but it is still a lot going on.

Hi Julie and thanks for your comments. This blossom was over the edge of a ridge into what could easily be called jungle. There was one vantage point and I was in it. - John

Gus Cobos
04-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Hi John,
I like the capture, your flower is tack sharp...I too feel that the background should be more blurred out, but with a point and shoot camera, this is as good as you are going to get...It is what it is...looking forward to your next one...:cool: