PDA

View Full Version : Me and My Shadow

Julie Kenward
04-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Taken in my backyard late this afternoon...I loved the way the long leaves fell around the base of the plant.

Canon 40D, EF 70-200mm f/4L, EF1.4X teleconverter
f5.6 @ 1/640, ISO 200
Manual mode, pattern metering, Sunny WB
Processed in ACR & CS4.

Joseph Martines
04-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Jules:

I see that you used a teleconverter on your 40D.

Am I assuming correctly that you manual focused this image?

No tripod - no live view .... correct??

One word - luscious.

Julie Kenward
04-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Joseph, I was sitting on the ground, camera in hand. I used auto-focus on the lens, focusing right on the center bud of the flower. I had the converter on because I had been taking photos of the birds at my feeders and I needed the extra length the converter gives my 70-200mm lens. I had decided to take a break from the birds and walk the yard for awhile when I saw this stray tulip (those darn squirrels!!!)

Gus Cobos
04-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Well composed and executed Julie,
I like this, especially the background oof tones and hues on the upper portion of the frame... the depth of field and the play on the lights and shadows are superb...good show...:cool:

Mike Moats
04-04-2009, 05:44 AM
Hey Jules, very cool comp and love the motion feel in the bg.

Richard Lovison
04-04-2009, 12:15 PM
I like the composition, overall lighting and the painting-like quality to the background. Nicely done.

Kaushik Balakumar
04-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Jules, though not completely OOF, I somehow like this BG a lot. Like the highlights in the BG bokeh especially. Might clone out one or two spots towards the left of the image (near the left edge, somewhat in the middle).
Love the slant light on the main subject. The low angle has certainly helped.

Don Lacy
04-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Hi Jules, well sen and executed love the flow of the petals through out the image and how the BG gives a sense of place without being a distraction.

Mike Fuhr
04-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi Jules. I love the greens and the monochromatic nature of this this picture. Thank goodness spring is finally here! I like the pic very much. I found the in-focus grass in the LR a bit distracting so I played with a crop for fun. I tried to keep as much of the wonderful background as possible...