PDA

View Full Version : Flamboyant Tundra

John Ippolito
04-03-2009, 05:51 PM
A mountain valley near home, in peak autumn color. This is a very brief season. Hiking through this blazing tundra is like walking through a big Monet.
D200
Nikon 105mm
f 11
1/13
manual
matrix
+0.3 EV
circular polarizer
spirit level
All comments welcome.

anita ray
04-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Like the diagonals,river running thru. I might crop a bit off top, but that is just an opinion. Divide more into thirds.
My kind of image, Love it!

Robert Amoruso
04-03-2009, 09:39 PM
John,

A well designed composition. I see an s-curve in the valley with the river and various tree lines. Diagonals in the BG mountain. The eye can just move around this image so easily and drink it in. Well done. It you decide to crop per Anita's suggestion, I would go just below your name and get rid of the dark triangle in the upper right corner.

Grady Weed
04-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Ditto on the crop suggestion. You could get lost in this image. And that's a good thing. Great colors and lines. A scene we all need to give the mind a break. A very nice composition. Thanks for sharing this image with us.

Kim Rollins
04-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Wonderful colors. Wonderful image.

Well done.

The crop suggestion should be considered IMO.

Jay Gould
04-04-2009, 12:15 AM
Hot stuff John; really hot stuff.

Your image is actually two images :)

If you crop the mountain at all, the composition changes and you lose the feeling of a deep valley.

On the other hand, I took a piece of paper and covered the entire mountain so that the crop would be just above the green bush about 2" (:D) down on my screen, and then you have a totally different image that is full of wild colors and none of the soft pastels of the mountain.

I like it both ways.

Thanks for sharing.

denise ippolito
04-04-2009, 09:27 AM
John, It looks like you could hike right into the scene! I think the title is perfect,and I love the vibrant colors-Very nice!

Axel Hildebrandt
04-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Very cool image! Do the colors really look this vibrant or did you increase the saturation?

Jackie Schuknecht
04-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Beautiful colours and framed just right. Love this image John!

John Ippolito
04-06-2009, 11:32 AM
I appreciate everyone looking in to comment on this image, and weighing in on the crop from the top. I wrestled with the same crop and decided...for now at least, that I don't mind the upper right corner, since it conveys a sense of the valley's depth and beyond without an even wider view. I'll be trying some prints this week which may make me change my mind on that idea.

Very cool image! Do the colors really look this vibrant or did you increase the saturation?
HI, Axel. The colors here are quite true to reality. I shoot and process pretty neutral and didn't boost saturation at all. That being said, I used a polarizer to hold the color on the more distant BG slopes and minimize reflections from foliage.

Roman Kurywczak
04-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Hey John,
I'm Ok with this as presented but do see the merits of the crop......and feel it does strenghten it a bit. Having been there during this season.....colors look good on my monitor......I usually judge by the greens......and yours amy be a hair bright....but a bit of pull back tweak on that and the yellows.....will be the final touch. Nicely composed....puts me in the tundra.