PDA

View Full Version : Posing Postman

Randy Stout
04-03-2009, 01:19 PM
This fellow was nice enough to pose for me today at the Fred Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids, MI. Each year I try to make it up to their butterfly exhibit, which is billed as the largest temporary one in the country.

It is a challenge with the crowds. I was the first one through the door (used to getting up for birds!) and had about 20 minutes before the crowds really built up.

They won't allow tripods, monopods, etc., so stability is an issue!

An interesting mix of new and old gear. D700 100-300 AIS zoom with 5T close up lens,reversed, SB800, Stofen diffuser

f/11 1/320s ISO 1000 SB800 on manual

From a composition standpoint, a bit tight on top. This is essentially full frame.

Comments appreciated. It took a lot of compression to get this file under the limit, so quality is down a bit.

By the way, getting a good head angle on a butterfly, and maintaining DOF isn't easy! At least for me!

Randy

Kaushik Balakumar
04-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Beautiful image. Love the details on the wings. Might clone out those small circles in the leaf near the bottom of the frame.

denise ippolito
04-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Randy, Very nice details and the BG color is great! Agree with small spots at bottom-Well done !

Gus Cobos
04-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Hi Randy,
I like the image and capture...I too agree with the white circular lens flares at the bottom that need to be cloned out...in addition, I would clone out the solitary leaf tip thats coming out of the left side of the frame; this takes away from your subject, and finally, I wound add some more canvas on top, it's too tight...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Julie Kenward
04-03-2009, 08:13 PM
I agree with Gus on all points but would also selectively sharpen the eye a bit more and run a round of noise reduction - you can really see it in the dark areas of the BG.

I go to my botanical garden's butterfly festival every August and you're right...the crowds totally ruin it and make it next to impossible to get a great image. I think you did well to capture a good head angle and get good definition in the butterfly overall without giving us all the distractions in the BG.

Joseph Martines
04-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Randy:

Try the Butterfly House in Whitehouse, Ohio below Toledo. They open Memorial Day and close just after Labor Day. No crowds.

Wonderful experience.

Randy Stout
04-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. Its interesting, as the bright spots on the bottom weren't as noticeable in the raw file. I should have watched more carefully after the conversion to jpeg.

I found it a challenge to balance ambient vs. flash. The background was very cluttered and not very flattering in many cases, so I did let the flash dominate the exposure. I might have one more chance in a week or so, and will try again to get a lighter background. Part of the problem of course is, that the habitat here is incredibly shady, many of the butterflies were under leaves or branches and in deep shade.

In regard to the leaf in the upper left. I had already reduced it significantly and blurred it. To some extent I felt it acted as a counterbalance to the bottom leaf, but I will revisit that.

Thanks again.
Randy

Mike Moats
04-04-2009, 05:35 AM
Hey Randy, I like it as is, Good details and like the BG look.