PDA

View Full Version : GBHs on Nest

Bob Malbon
04-03-2009, 10:57 AM
http://bob-malbon-photo.smugmug.com/photos/504515830_Pbcgu-L.jpg

Wow, these guys nest early! Water below this nest site is still ICE!
Just off RT 89 in central New Hampshire near Georges Mills. Very limited access to frame for the light - private property.
Big crop and as sharp as it can stand. 1DMK3 on 500 f4 w/ 2x extender mounted on a tripod. ISO400, 1/640at f8
manual exposure, one shot.
Bob

Daniel Cadieux
04-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Hi Bob, nice find considering these guys' nests are nor as easily found or photographed as those down south. You did the best you could with the self described conditions. The large crop is starting to show however, and raising the colour temperature a bit would be nice to warm up the image a bit. Nice breeding colours on the faces!

Stephen Stephen
04-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Bob nice interaction between this pair. I agree with Dan's suggested improvements. As Dan hinted most of the GBH nests here are 10-15 metres (~30-45 feet) up in dead trees in the middle of deep ponds.

Alfred Forns
04-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Can only add you might want to take advantage of the clean ISO and crank it up some more !! Would allow you to stop down a least one !!! .. btw great head positions !!!!

Randy Stout
04-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Bob:

I think you did very well given the constraints of the location. Fine interaction, with good separation of the birds, but still obviously interacting. I like the framing provided by the tree branches. I might consider a small crop up from the bottom to reduce the mass of the nest a bit.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Randy