Roger Clark
04-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Hello (2nd try at posting),

I have gotten a request to use some of my lion images for a cause:

a pesticide called furadan that is threatening
the entire african ecosystem. The poison is being used by local farmers
who are losing livestock to lions. They poison the carcasses with
furadan which is a potent neurotoxin, and scavenger or predator that
consumes the carcass is doomed to a painful inhumane death.

Does anyone know about this pesticide or the problem? I would like
to know a little more before allowing use.

I found this story:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/03/26/60minutes/main4894945.shtml

Roy Priest
04-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Roger, just watched a program on it last night! Seems Furadan is available country wide and in places that have no crops to protect. Some whole prides have been poisoned. The government will not ban it as it says it's a needed product for crops.

Tony Whitehead
04-03-2009, 03:40 PM
From a quick web search seems to be a significant issue with implications for more than just the lions. Likely to affect all insects, birds and mammals feeding on poisoned carcasses and a significant risk to those preparing the bait too.

Roy Priest
04-03-2009, 06:40 PM
On the program I watched they were piling up the vulture carcasses, hyenas, jackals and other assorted scavengers. The Masai are trying to help by monitoring lions and letting villagers know when lions are in their area.

Axel Hildebrandt
04-04-2009, 02:35 PM
I really hope they will find a solution without using poison. I agree with Tony that the implications go beyond lions.

Harold Davis
05-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Furadan is an insecticide that is highly toxic to birds, wildlife and humans. it is one of the most highly toxic on the market. the granular form of the product was banned by the US EPA in 1991. there are other forms currently available, but on the to be banned list.

roger, there are many other pesticides on the market that will treat the same insects labeled on furadan, but at much lower LD50 or toxicity to animals, birds and humans. to put it in perspective, furadan is a carbamate. it's the same family of chemicals that sevin comes from, an insecticide that dogs and cats used to be dusted with for ticks and fleas. i remember my granddad dusting tomato plants with sevin without any protection at all. it's pretty safe for all and still does the job.

i hope this helps and good luck with your decision.