PDA

View Full Version : Pileated Woodpecker

Steve Maxson
04-02-2009, 04:58 PM
This male pileated woodpecker was photographed at my home a few days ago. I like how this image illustrates the large raptor-like claws used to grasp the tree trunk and the way the stiff tail feathers are used as a prop for the bird. 40D, 500 f/4, 1/250, f/8, ISO 500. This is full frame. Comments are welcome.

Randy Stout
04-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Steve:

I am a big fan of pileateds.

I think your picture shows what you wanted it to, very well. Nice soft light.Pretty good head angle. Good background.

My only slight constructive comment is that the red channel is blown in part of his crest. It was easily recovered by use of highlight protection, and did show a bit more feather detail.

Please post some more if you have them!!

Randy

Mike Lentz
04-02-2009, 05:29 PM
He's a beauty and the BG is great! Wish it were my image.

Axel Hildebrandt
04-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Great details, soft light and exposure control. The raised crest adds to it.

Arthur Morris
04-02-2009, 07:27 PM
For me, this is about as good as it gets. If the reds are blown, try adding 30-50 points of CYAN to the REDs in Selective Color before de-SATing the red channel about 10 points. That almost always saves it (without having to re-convert).

Great pose, tail flex, and detail in the blacks. Way to go. Way the bird coming to a feeder?

Steve Maxson
04-02-2009, 08:00 PM
For me, this is about as good as it gets. If the reds are blown, try adding 30-50 points of CYAN to the REDs in Selective Color before de-SATing the red channel about 10 points. That almost always saves it (without having to re-convert).

Great pose, tail flex, and detail in the blacks. Way to go. Way the bird coming to a feeder?

Hi Artie. Yes, the bird was lured to suet stuffed into a hole I carved into the tree. This method works quite well on all our suet-eating winter birds.

Arthur Morris
04-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks Steve. Well done on all counts.

Randy Stout
04-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Steve:

Artie raises a good question about how you got this close. These guys are pretty shy in my neck of the woods, and will not come to a feeder, even suet, if near a house. I have several behind my house, and have watched them a lot, but they are pretty tough to get close enough to, even with 1050mm EFL.

Please, tell me your secret technique!

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
04-02-2009, 08:29 PM
I've had both some cooperative ones, and some extremely shy ones of this species. I guess it's a matter of luckily stumbling upon a bolder one. Randy, have you tried sitting a blind or are you out in the open? If you find fresh wood chips caused by a Pileated under a tree you can try putting suet or peanut butter and setting up a blind near that tree.

Nice male you photographed (red moustache). Just an all around fantastic image, very well done!

Ramon M. Casares
04-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Stunnnig pose, great colors, BG, exposure, detail and comp. COngratualtions!

Dave Phillips
04-02-2009, 08:48 PM
wow Steve, one of the best pileateds I have seen.
The black detail is sweet......agree about a little red crest work

wow, this is beautiful!!

Randy Stout
04-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Steve:

I missed your original comment about the suet, sorry.

I would be very interested in some more details. For example, do you climb up into the trees, or just bore a hole, or find as crack as high up as you can reach? I have a number of dead trees in a ravine behind my house, and had a nesting pair last year. I had a bit of a natural blind, and spent many happy hours watching them. I didn't have enough reach then to get good pictures, but want to try again this year. I know they usually don't use the same hole again to nest, but I hope they will still be in the area.

So, any additional insights would be much appreciated!!

Randy

Steve Maxson
04-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Steve:

I missed your original comment about the suet, sorry.

I would be very interested in some more details. For example, do you climb up into the trees, or just bore a hole, or find as crack as high up as you can reach? I have a number of dead trees in a ravine behind my house, and had a nesting pair last year. I had a bit of a natural blind, and spent many happy hours watching them. I didn't have enough reach then to get good pictures, but want to try again this year. I know they usually don't use the same hole again to nest, but I hope they will still be in the area.

So, any additional insights would be much appreciated!!

Randy
Hi Randy. The tree in this photo is a section of a dead tree I collected last fall and set up on my deck. I used a drill and chisel to make a hole in the side to hold the suet. I have been feeding suet for years in the winter so the woodpeckers are used to coming around the house to feed. I hung a regular suet feeder on the tree for a few days till the birds found it - it didn't take long. I have a sun room that faces this "tree." I hung some camo burlap inside the sun room windows to create a makeshift blind. When I'm ready to shoot, I crank open the window and wait for the birds to come. I have 3 pileateds that feed there regularly plus downys, hairys, nuthatches, and chickadees. I have to replenish the suet several times per day.
If you wanted to use natural trees and a blind, just find a photogenic spot, find, or make, a small hole in the side of a tree and stuff some suet into it. The birds will find it quickly and if you keep the hole filled, the birds will be regular visitors. At least that's how it works up north in the winter. In Florida, maybe not so well as the suet would likely get rancid in the heat. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dave Phillips
04-02-2009, 09:53 PM
wanted to come back and add that this clearly shows the Tail Feathers
"propping" the bird....nice behavior element

Randy Stout
04-03-2009, 04:09 AM
Thanks Steve:

I really appreciate the info. I actually live in Michigan, so I think the suet would do OK in the cooler weather!

I will put out one of my spare suet feeders on a nice dead snag I have, at a good height and see if I can get them to come to it. That would be grand!

Thanks again for the detailed info.

I am looking forward to more pic and perhaps will be able to contribute some myself!!

Randy

Steve Canuel
04-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Hey Steve,
Just a really sweet image. Colors, light, and detail throughout. Excellent job and glad to see your planning/effort paid off.

Simon Bennett
04-04-2009, 05:53 PM
All round fine image - I like the pose, exposure control and crips presentation.