PDA

View Full Version : River Chat

Alex Vargas
04-02-2009, 09:56 AM
From my trip to the cold mountains, far North Thailand, last february.

One of my favorite birds in the world. :)

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s267/alexnaturals/My%20Birds%20Asia/RiverChat2.jpg

Nikon D80 + Nikkor 300mm f/2.9VR. Natural light.

:cool:

Alex

Sabyasachi Patra
05-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Alex,
The white in the head and the stone has got overexposed and lost details. The black in the head also appears to have lost details. You may need to revisit your processing again. A little more space at the left would have been good as well as there would have been more separation between the tail and the left frame. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Alex Vargas
05-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks for your comment, Mr Sabyasachi.

However -and with all due respect- I would have to say that it was very dark where I shot this guy
and the rock wasn't my subject, so I did not minded its figure, besides, perhaps if you see one of this
awesome birds sometime, you will see the bright white cap, even to the necked eye...

The composition was done applying the rule of thirds and -frankly- can't see how more space on the
left of the frame would be -by any means- necessary...

Best regards,

Alex
=====================///
www.birdphotoforum.com

Sabyasachi Patra
05-10-2009, 01:30 AM
Hi Alex,
Perhaps I could not clearly communicate earlier. Subjects having white and blacks are tricky to expose. When I said the whites have lost details, means it has become textureless white. The details in the whites can be recovered during post processing. Please check the histogram and you will find the graph touching the right side. I downloaded your image and could recover the details in the whites. So you too can do it with your original image.

The light seems to be pretty low as you have photographed at ISO 250, 300mm, f2.8, 1/50 sec. I haven't done bird photography in Thailand as I have been there only on short trips.

The composition is not as per the rule of thirds as per my understanding. Its legs seems to be near the lower left hand point in the rule of thirds. If you crop the image from the right upto the A of your name, then the head of the bird is in the right hand top power point.

The purpose of this forum is for learning. It is a peer-to-peer learning forum and everybody learns here. The idea is not to find out faults, but to point out areas that can help in strengthening the image. When we upload a photograph we get lot of comments and it is upto us to decide which comments are worth implementing.

Best,
Sabyasachi

Alex Vargas
05-10-2009, 03:52 AM
Thanks again, Mr Sabyasachi.

First, I apologize if -anyhow- sound like I did not liked or refused the critic... it isn't so!
Just answering your comment with my point of view... I appreciate you input, though...

I think that composing images is -in fact- some art seeing with different eyes by everyone,
however, I will consider your advise in the future.

Cheers,

Alex
=====================///
www.birdphotoforum.com (http://www.birdphotoforum.com/)

Sabyasachi Patra
05-10-2009, 04:15 AM
Hi Alex,
Please call me Sabyasachi. Attaching a Mr. makes it very formal.

I agree with you that composition can't be straight jacketed into rigid rules. I use the Rule of thirds as a guideline, but often break it. In this image, I am not suggesting that you crop it for the rule of thirds. I would have composed it as you did, with just a little bit more space at the left. This is upto taste and not a must.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Alex Vargas
05-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Yes Sr... (ha,ha,ha) :)

Thanks,

Alex
=====================///
www.birdphotoforum.com (http://www.birdphotoforum.com/)