PDA

View Full Version : House Finch

Indranil Sircar
04-02-2009, 12:29 AM
I took this over the weekend and in the morning. I was surprised by this male's bright red coloring. I did take few other shots with different head turns but I liked this one the most. Here are the settings -

40D, Sigma 50-500 @500mm
1/800sec, f/8, ISO 400, Exp Comp +1/3, metering mode Ev, Handheld

Your feedback would be appreciated...

~ Indranil

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Hi Indranil,

The image appears rather soft and somewhat noisy too. How much of a crop is this from the original? Don't be concerned to show an original image too, we are all here to learn from each other's methods and experiences.

THe colors are nice and the light is pretty good. :)

Axel Hildebrandt
04-02-2009, 09:21 AM
I like the composition and BG and agree that it looks rather soft. How did you sharpen after resizing?

Daniel Cadieux
04-02-2009, 01:38 PM
It does look like it is a large crop. Was somw work done to the BG (above the head and next to the shoulder?). This guy has done a great job in hiding his other leg!! :-)

Indranil Sircar
04-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Ákos, Axel, Daniel, thanks for the comments. I did go back to the original and redid the post-processing which has been a problem. It is rather a large crop. Here is another version with noise removed and blurred background (vs. cloning).

I like the composition and BG and agree that it looks rather soft. How did you sharpen after resizing?

I use two pass usm with radius/threshold .3/1 and then .2/0

Axel Hildebrandt
04-02-2009, 09:37 PM
I like the crop of the repost better, the branches crossing the bird are a bit distracting.