PDA

View Full Version : Great Egret - Breaking The Rules

Ed Cordes
04-01-2009, 09:43 PM
I know that when making avian images we are supposed to have the light at our backs so the bird is front lit. However, sometimes this just isn't possible. This is an image I made that has strong back/side light. However, I like the glow created and the BG presented.

What do you think?

1DMK2 with 500 f4. Evaluative metering at ISO 500 with EV - 2/3 and f 5 with 1/1600. Slight crop.

Thanks for looking. All comments most welcome.

Maxis Gamez
04-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Hi Ed,

The composition works for me very well. You did well with the situation. I would remove whatever is splashing next to your signature....

Bruce Gove
04-02-2009, 02:01 AM
I share your dilemma Ed! It just isn't always possible to get the perfect conditions. I'm getting a little more selective, but when I get this close to a Great Egret I get excited and make images that I know will be flawed, but that's why I haven't given up my day job:D:o!!! I like the comp, and back-lit highlights of your picture..looks like a spider web that Maxis was talking about next to your sig..

Cheers,

Bruce

Ed Cordes
04-02-2009, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the comments Maxis and Bruce. Yes, it is a spider web. Removing it would be easy, but I thought it was kind of cool there along with the feather. Maybe not though?

Randy Stout
04-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Ed:

I think it works pretty well. There was enough ambient light to show the eye well, which is often a problem with backlit images. I wish there was a little more detail in the white on the body, and this is an effect of the lighting. You might be able to bring up a little more with some selective shadow recovery, but it might negate the back lit effect you were after.

I personally like both the spider web and feather. I just wouldn't put my sig in that same spot!

Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Marina Scarr
04-02-2009, 07:23 AM
You did well with exposure on this backlit subject. I find the composition and environment pleasing. I think the spider web and feather add interest to the picture; however, I would move your signature maybe to upper right hand corner in order to make the spider web more obvious.

Lowell Sims
04-02-2009, 08:03 AM
You did a great job with the conditions you had to work with. I like the spider web, just move sig.

Alfred Forns
04-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Excellent Ed !!! Very creative and did well with the exposure .. the light coming through the bill just takes it over the top. Also like how you positioned yourself for framing the bird against the bg Just fine as presented !!! Big Congrats !!!

Fabs Forns
04-02-2009, 09:31 AM
I love rim light and use it a every opportunity, especially with big waders. Sometimes their bill just glow with the back light.

Another vote to keep the web and feather, signature issue discussed.
Kudos for trying something outside your comfort zone.

Arthur Morris
04-02-2009, 03:00 PM
But for two many small branches on the log, this is superb. Do not take very rule or guideline so seriously. Folks are missing the point of "point your shadow at the subject." If you are working with the sun behind you, then you need to have your shadow pointed within 15 degrees of the bird. The stronger the light, the more I want to be right on light angle. I have nothing against backlight which is pretty much what you have here (though a bit from the left side.)

When working frontlit, I suggest that the sun, you, and the subject be on the same line, in that order. When doing backlit of silhouetted images, is should be you, the subject, and the sun on the same line in that order. Think about it.

Arthur Morris
04-02-2009, 03:01 PM
ps: I like the (obvious) spider web and the feather which looks like a fishbone.

Mark Dumbleton
04-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Breaking rules/guidelines can result in some super images, and this is one example.
Great backlighting on the white bird, and you have done well with the exposure!