PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Mirror on the wall who has the coolest feet of all?

Randy Stout
04-01-2009, 09:04 PM
This image was created at Artie's IPT in Feb.

Little Estero, foggy morning. It is slightly tight at the top. I am particularly interested in the groups take on the reflection. Does it overpower the bird? I did lighten it just a bit. The image was rotated 2.29 degrees. Approx. 60% of original frame.

D300 70-200 130mm ISO 640 f/11 1/400 second handheld

Comments certainly appreciated!

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-01-2009, 09:34 PM
I don't feel the reflection overpowers at all. It is almost a perfect rendition of the bird itself. I really like the bent foot as it is just about to touch down. Great light. And man, this must have been close. :) (kind of jealous)

Nate Chappell
04-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Really beautiful reflection shot Randy, great that he just touched down, I would either add a little canvas on top or take just a little off the bottom to give this a more symmetrical look. Anyway, great capture, congrats.

Dick Glover
04-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Randy,
This is really a beautiful image, and the reflection is terrific as it is. To me, it is an integral part of the total presentation and therefore does not detract, but rather makes the complete image that much more interesting. I do agree with Randy that adding canvas at the top would be good. Thanks for sharing.
Dick

Ed Cordes
04-01-2009, 10:00 PM
To my eye the reflection is perfect! I like the entire image a lot. the raised leg and outstretched wings, good detail and controlled exposure. You are right it could use a bit of canvas on top, but still an outstanding image.

Dave Mills
04-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Hi Randy, You had a point about the reflection being somewhat dominant. I've been studying the image and I think I came up with a solution. The bird is very white with the reflection being warmer and very detailed. I selected everything except the reflection in S/H and brought a bit more detail and warmth to the bird. This tended to even out the two more but not make them the same. I also added a bit more canvas to the top. I think the original is very nice but wanted to see if I could address your issue...

Kris Mortensen
04-01-2009, 10:31 PM
I think it's a stunning shot, and I dig the repost. The only thing I wonder about is the 8 or 10 ringlets on the left...just wondering what it would look like without? Overall, a very dramatic shot!

Stu Bowie
04-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Brilliant timing Randy, and well done on capturing a great reflection too. You have exposed the whites nicely, and this is nice and sharp. Congrats on an outstanding image.

Kim Rollins
04-02-2009, 02:32 AM
Wonderful capture Randy.

I do not think the reflection is overpowering.

I have looked at the image several times and my reaction has been wishing for a bit more detain on the bird. That said, I think Dave is on the right track with his rework however I would like to see it with the warming more subtle. I would think some room on the left would be good too.

Axel Hildebrandt
04-02-2009, 06:17 AM
Cool pose and reflection. Another vote for more room at the top and a very slight crop off the bottom. I'm wondering if lowering the color temperature a bit would make it even better.

denise ippolito
04-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Randy, You already got alot of good advice-Would just like to chime in-Great capture -I love the reflection and the feet!! Well done!!

Alfred Forns
04-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Hi Randy,

At a lower angle, this image woul be a lot stronger. Good exposure and very sharp!

... a lower angle would affect the reflection.

Love the image Randy !!! Excellent as presented .. maybe the tine crop Axel mentioned Great looking whites and caught at peak action !! Big Congrats !!!

Chris van Rooyen
04-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Lovely posture and sharpness. You did extremely well to freeze the action at that shutter speed!

Randy Stout
04-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Thanks for all the comments folks.

I agree with Alfred, any lower angle would have stretched and distorted the reflection enough to reduce its impact, so I am happy with this angle.

Chris - I had been shooting groups of static birds, and needed the small f stop. When this fellow flared in, I was fortunate to catch him in a slight pause, just as he flared, so got lucky.

Dave - I like the repost. The original image had the reflection much darker, and I lightened it up for my original post. I actually had a version where the bird and reflection had almost the exact same luminance, but found the reflection then overpowered the bird itself.

I think this image lends itself to lots of interpretations.

Thanks again everyone.

Randy

Fabs Forns
04-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Hi Randy,

At a lower angle, this image woul be a lot stronger. Good exposure and very sharp!

You got to love it when people repeat cliche critiques without thinking.

You got the best possible angle to get the reflection. A lower angle would have another picture, not necessarily stronger.

Brian Wong
04-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Hi Randy!

I agree with everyone that the beautiful reflection "makes" this image. When I place my hand over the reflection ... it becomes more "ordinary" to my eyes.

James Shadle
04-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Randy,
I did a little color tweaking. The image looked so warm the water was no longer blue. A little blur to reduce sharpening halo and noise.
They angle used were at to photograph this scene is outstanding. Using a higher angle to create an image with such an impressive reflection is a technique you won't find "in the books". Had you used a lower angle the reflection would look completely different.
Nice OOTB thinking.

It would be my preference not to have the water rings below the right wing. You know, in a perfect world.

James

Arthur Morris
04-02-2009, 03:08 PM
I love it. I like both the OP and Mr. Shadle's version. Thanks Dave too for your efforts but it is natural that the reflection is much less contrasty than the real thing.

Maxis, you suggestion, as noted above, makes zero sense. Randy, you did great with this one! I would love to see the (whole) original.

ps: You forgot to mention that the bird was fed a fresh greenback. (Hang me now....)

Harold Davis
04-02-2009, 06:20 PM
on a totally different note, you could crop off the top, flip it 180 degrees leaving only the reflection and have a heck of an abstract. fantastic capture, i like james' repost. does make the water look better.