PDA

View Full Version : Palouse Barn

Tom Walter
04-01-2009, 09:02 PM
This is one of several barn images that I took in the Palouse Region of Eastern Washington. I liked the leading line of the fence, the barn and the wheat fields. The horse in front of the barn is a bonus. I shot this at the hyperfocal distance because I wanted the grass in the foreground to be in focus. For some reason the colors in the uploaded image are brighter than on my calibrated screen. I'm not sure what happened.

Nikon D200
Nikon18-200 3.5-5.6 G VR at 62mm
Tripod
1/15sec at f20
Hyperfocal distance setting
ISO400

Kim Rollins
04-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Tom -

I looked at this image several time since you first posted it. I like it and I like the way the fence leads me into it. Nicely done but something just kept bothering me. I finally decided it was that the horses were positioned at the center of the barn. What to do?

Maybe herd them over a bit.

http://upload.pbase.com/image/110904134/original.jpg

Robert Amoruso
04-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Tom,

You designed a good looking image with the leading line of the fence, laying in the grass due to the different colors, colorful old barn and two well placed clouds.

Kim has an interesting perspective on the horse's new location. Overall, I would darken the image using a curves correction (PSCS3 and above - curves, darken preset and then adjust to your liking). Any questions, please let me know.

Paul Marcellini
04-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Colorwise this is great. You have some nice bold blocks of color. And because of that, I would pop the greens just a bit more. The comp is really nice and I see no need to change the horse position. YOu could even crop a touch, up to the first pole and add more emphasis to the good stuff.

Roman Kurywczak
04-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Hey Tom,
color pop and brightness already mentioned. You have a very nice leading line in the fence.......I do like the horse move in Kim's re-post.......as it seperates from the barn more. My preference would be without it altogether......unless it was more prominant in the FG.......but even with the horse centered.....correct the above mentioned tweaks....and this will show very nicely.