PDA

View Full Version : Thoughtful Pose

Tom Walter
04-01-2009, 08:42 PM
I cut off the feet in this image but I really liked the pose with the curled neck, hairs on top of its head and open beak so I ended up cropping as you see. What do you think of the crop? I'll try to post the original next. This is the same Great Blue Heron that was landing on the boardwalk in a recent post.

Nikon D200
Nikon 70-300 4.5-5.6G VR at 300mm
Hand held, available light
1/2500 sec at f5.6
ISO 400

Tom Walter
04-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Here's the original image. I would appreciate any comments regarding the crop or the image itself.

Tom

Lowell Sims
04-01-2009, 08:52 PM
I'd suggest cropping out the leg completely.

Nate Chappell
04-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Nice lighting and pose here Tom, I would crop out the leg as well and maybe take little off the top too, although then it will be a pretty big crop.

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-02-2009, 12:19 AM
Hi Tom
It is a pity that the feet were chopped. I tried a horizontal crop but seemed a bit odd. These being tall birds, I would think that presenting them vertically would be most-likely advantageous. I tried the crop here and while there are no feet, it still appeals to me. I am sure you have or will get one of the whole bird, or move in a little closer if possible and focus on some more intimate details. :) Thanks for sharing.

Stu Bowie
04-02-2009, 01:48 AM
Excellent detail on the head and neck. I would maybe crop a bit from the left just behind the head, and to just below the neck feathers. This will give you more of a portrait comp. Still, well captured Tom.

Arthur Morris
04-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Sharp and a good EXP. You needed to move to your right for a better subject to film plane juxtaposition--the bird is angled away from you. And this would have given you a better head angle.