PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Mill - Whitney, Oregon

Kim Rollins
04-01-2009, 07:28 PM
1911 - 2007

http://www.pbase.com/kwr_01/image/23541351.jpg

Rails from Sumpter Valley Railroad got to Whitney about 1901. Mill was built in 1911. This building which was the main building of the saw mill completely collapsed a few years ago.

Robert Amoruso
04-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Kim,

Welcome to the forum and I appreciate your input on my thread about what makes a landscape image.

You did well here balancing the mill with the trestle. I would have like to see more room on the right so that the foot of the truss was not clipped. My other suggestion would be to do a curves correction on the image to lower the contrast of the sky and then mask out the rest of the image.

Please post technical information like exposure and equipment as that helps us to critique images.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Kim Rollins
04-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Robert-
Thanks for looking and comments to.

I generally always post EXIF data and I have no excuss for not doing it with this one. It is never stripped from my images so a EXIF reader will bring it forward.

<TABLE cellPadding=1 width=450 align=center border=1><TBODY><TR><TD class=lid>Olympus</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Model</TD><TD class=lid>E-10</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Flash Used</TD><TD class=lid>No</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Focal Length</TD><TD class=lid>15 mm</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Exposure Time</TD><TD class=lid>1/400 sec</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Aperture</TD><TD class=lid>f/4</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>ISO Equivalent</TD><TD class=lid>320</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Exposure Bias</TD><TD class=lid>-1</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>White Balance</TD><TD class=lid>(-1)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Metering Mode</TD><TD class=lid>multi spot (3)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>JPEG Quality</TD><TD class=lid>(6)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Exposure Program</TD><TD class=lid>program (2)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Roman Kurywczak
04-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Hey Kim,
Robert gave some excellent advice on the clipped leg. Too bad on the collapse. In this situation the split ND or an HDR......with exposure on the sky also.....to bring up the tonal range......would ahve helped. Compositionally......besides the clip.....very nicely thought out.

Kim Rollins
04-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Roman,

yes Robert's advice was good but... as far as that leg goes this one shall never be shot again.

Thanks