PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat with Live Duck - Bosque del Apache

Richard Kowalski
01-28-2008, 03:56 PM
On our first trip to the Bosque in October 07, shortly after sunrise on our first morning we spotted this bobcat with it's breakfast. While shooting the initial frames, I noticed the duck was still struggling a little, so wasn't dead yet. This is about 1/3 of the original frame. The cat never got much closer, realizing we were in his path, it went off into the shrubs on the left.

Canon 20D
1/1600th
Canon 100-400L IS - 400mm @ f/ 11
ISO 3200

Cropped and WB in ACR, additional tweaks in PS

Alfred Forns
01-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Great encounter Love the composition with the animal on the corner Diagonal lines sure strengthen the image and the flower added for perfect balance !!!! Big Congrats !!!! Not much you can do about the sticks up and having the eyes more visible Do love this image !!!

Richard Kowalski
01-29-2008, 11:02 AM
It certainly was a magical introduction to the Bosque for us! We pretty much had the place to ourselves. I did burn the eyes down a little to bring up the details, but was concerned if I over did it it would look unnatural.

I only wish he had come closer!

Richard

Vincent Grafhorst
01-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Richard, that must have been a great encounter, but also a frustrating one with the cat not giving you a good photo oportunity and believe me I know just how frustrating it is! A cropp 1/3 of the original is a lot, too much IMO. Also it is not immediately clear what the image is all about since the cat is hidden behind its prey, it would have been better if viewed from the side. A keeper from a memory point of view maybe, but surely not a walhanger IMHO. I hope you will have more luck during a next encounter.;)

Judd Patterson
01-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Hey Richard, you photographed a really interesting moment...sure wish that he had kept moving toward you! Again I'm also going to suggest that you try shooting at lower ISO's. ISO 3200 is the absolute extreme for your camera and with the 100-400 IS and plenty of morning light I would have had my ISO on 400, and an aperture of perhaps f/7.1. I can only recall setting my 20D to ISO 3200 a few times...just doesn't create the cleanest file.