PDA

View Full Version : View of Bighorn Canyon through Arch

D. Robert Franz
04-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Photographed Bighorn Canyon the other day through this unnamed arch. Exposure required HDR 3 images exoposed at -2, 0, +2. HDR processing was done in CS4 which I'm not real familiar with. Not sure I like the results. Perhaps photomatrix would do better..

Canon 5D, 16-35mm F2.8L @ 16mm

Grady Weed
04-01-2009, 12:31 PM
I have not a clue as to how to merge HDR and who or what program does it best. I can say the result here is a nice one. This image is a good example of an idea to make an image, then take several images, merge them and have a great image afterward. If you took just one under the arch you might lose lots of details due to having to choose only 1 frame to present. I hope I made sense here Robert. I like the golden sun in the far right, the spotted snow, the arch acting as a window, the valley floor, road or river gives a nice curve or shape to look at. Nice bit of sky as well.

The only one thing, and I am not sure it would matter here, is the clump of brush up front in the center. Kind of draws my eye. Good or bad, just thought it was worth mentioning. You do fine work Robert. If I ever get out your way, you are on my list for a tour. Thanks for posting this one. By the way, I love my 5D. I see you have one too. I want the 5D Mark 2. Do you?

D. Robert Franz
04-01-2009, 12:38 PM
The only one thing, and I am not sure it would matter here, is the clump of brush up front in the center. Kind of draws my eye. Good or bad, just thought it was worth mentioning. You do fine work Robert. If I ever get out your way, you are on my list for a tour. Thanks for posting this one. By the way, I love my 5D. I see you have one too. I want the 5D Mark 2. Do you?

I know what you mean about the bush... Not sure how to handle it.. Impossible to avoid it in the picture. My back is against a cliff face so not much you can do by moving your position.. I've played with the 5d2 and am very impressed with it. I'm sure I'll get one some day soon.

Paul Marcellini
04-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Great scene Robert. I think the hdr looks great. would never know. I burned the foreground and dodged the bush to try to make them more an even border tonally. I also selected the sky and painted in some of the same color at a low opacity to lessen the blown area. I just selected color range(whites) and then painted in by taking a 3x3 point sample with the eyedropper. Never done it before but it seems to have worked well here Other than that I see no way to improve it(thats good). I love the snow on the red rock too.

D. Robert Franz
04-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks Paul.. Repost looks great.. My PS skills are lacking......

Dave Mills
04-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Hi, I took Pauls repost and worked on it a bit further. I realize when you start redoing these images certain areas can be affected. The sky got a wee bit of artifacting. I felt the previous post(which was an improvement) was a bit flat. I gave it a contrast boost and kicked up the color a bit.

D. Robert Franz
04-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Dave,

That looks great, the sky looks as my eyes saw it.. Thanks....

Robert Amoruso
04-03-2009, 11:29 AM
I like Dave's final treatment on this one Dale. Great using of a frame on this one and I like how you arranged the BG.

Roman Kurywczak
04-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Hey Dale,
Dave's re-post did the final touch. Nice job framing the buttes with the arch. The bit of snow also add to the texture and overall appeal.

John Ippolito
04-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Nicely composed, Dale. Dave's version brought out some nice contrast and detail in the prominent chunk of sky.