PDA

View Full Version : Eagle @ Skagit

phillane
04-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Since moving from NYC to the Northwest in 1998 the Bald Eagle population in the valley has clearly rebounded as a result of conservation efforts here. This image was captured with a Canon 40D with 100-400L @1/2000 sec @F 8. :D

Tony Whitehead
04-01-2009, 01:17 PM
I like the pose with the wings up and tail flared. Light angle is hurting by leaving so much in shadow. Would be nicer if the head were turned a little toward rather than away from you. Adding the ISO value to your post can help with suggestions as it can help work out your exposure value - did you use any +EC?

phillane
04-01-2009, 02:17 PM
I like the pose with the wings up and tail flared. Light angle is hurting by leaving so much in shadow. Would be nicer if the head were turned a little toward rather than away from you. Adding the ISO value to your post can help with suggestions as it can help work out your exposure value - did you use any +EC?

Tony ISO 320 Eagle was perched atop a near by phone tower, jumping out of my car left no time to play with angles, in short it was snooze or loose.

Daniel Cadieux
04-01-2009, 04:09 PM
I agree with Tony's observations. Also, this is not the best looking individual...I'm guessing it is a young one slowly gaining his adult plumage. I wish the odd Bald Eagle that showed up here would not bolt from within 300 yards!!

Nate Chappell
04-01-2009, 09:46 PM
I like the nice look at the talons here Phil, I'd prefer a little more eye contact but you take what you can get.

phillane
04-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Dan & Tony

Thanks for your opinions, as this is the essence of a critique. I guess I am somewhat old school as I have 20+ years of film shooting background. When film was the medium grain was part of the patina of an image and could not be romoved via software. Frankly, I miss the days when an image was judged on it's merit as an image rather than a digital file. By the way I negelcted to mention EC compensation was +2 Stops .

All the best

Phil Lane