PDA

View Full Version : Snow Bunting

Rich Steel
04-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Hi

Two male snow bunting were reported on a local beach for the last couple of week but I did not manage to get there until last Sunday for a breif session. This is quite late in the year for them to still be around on the coast and indeed they were reported to have left yesterday. They were in transition between winter and summer plumage and relatively confiding as usual. I did get a bit distracted during the session by a very good looking rock pipit of which I also managed to get some photos.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/squidfish_2006/snowbunting82009.jpg

Taken with 1Dmk3 (back Canon for its latest 'fix') and 500mm lens at ISO 200 F6.3 and 1/1250s.

Cheers

Rich

Daniel Cadieux
04-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Good way to take advantage of the situation! Love the pose, perch (although I'd be tempted to crop a bit of it at bottom), and blue BG. As posted I'd be tempted to darken the midtones as it feels rather light. Can't wait to see the pipit too :-)

Randy Stout
04-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Rich:

I agree with Daniel, and might crop up just above your sig. line. I find the tone of the moss/lichen harmonizes nicely with the browns in the back, head angle of bird and your angle of view to the bird, all nice.

Thanks for posting.

Randy

Tony Whitehead
04-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Love the colours, textures and pose. Agree with Dan's crop suggestion. Life is tough when you go to the beach and get distracted by good looking birds:D

denise ippolito
04-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Rich, Beautiful colors and pose,agree w/ crop on bottom-great BG!

Axel Hildebrandt
04-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Great setting, angle and eye contact. I would sharpen the wings a little less since it is so easy to make them look oversharpened.