PDA

View Full Version : Tawny Owl

Han Bouwmeester
04-01-2009, 09:12 AM
I’m following this Tawny owl for two years now.
His home Oak tree is located on the bank of a small river and the owner of that river with his surround area wanted to cut down this hundreds years old tree. The reason? It’s leaning a little bit towards the river so the workers who need to keep the riverbanks in a good condition have to leave there machine for a moment to pass the tree!
My first attempt to save the tree and the owl’s place was successful; for this year. Now we will work on it to save it for the upcoming years.

So, with these things I can combine my birding protection work a little bit with my photographing job. For two mornings I have put on a hide before the tree and after some hours waiting I could make this shots. Shots with a double thought for me.
More pictures of it at www.hanbouwmeester.nl (http://www.hanbouwmeester.nl/)

http://www.hanbouwmeester.nl/Database/Bosuilen/bosuil_HB70481.jpg

Daniel Cadieux
04-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Han, welcome to BPN!! Great first post, lovely subject and a captivating story behind it. Hope you are successful in saving the tree for a longer while.

I really like the image alot. Great setting, and great "framing" by the leaves. However, I would consider eliminating the bright reflections in the leaves...the image would be much stronger and the edges cleaner with those tamed down. Congrats, and keep them coming :-)

Doug Brown
04-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Welcome to BPN Han! There's a lot to like about this image and the story that accompanies it. Congrats on saving the tree. I like the low angle and the vines growing up the tree. I'd go for a tighter crop that helps emphasize the owl and eliminates the brightly lit leaves. Thanks for sharing!

Jory Griesman
04-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Keep up the fight. Nice image, and agree with above. I'd certainly crop it much tighter, and possibly try to darken/burn/dull down the tree and branches, to make the owl pop a bit more, as it blends in with its surroundings.

Jory

Tony Whitehead
04-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Welcome, Han. Excellent post and story. I really like the ivy vines and leaves framing the owl. Agree with suggestions to tone down the bright spots.

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-02-2009, 12:26 AM
Welcome Han!

Wish you great success with your protective project. Fingers crossed from Australia. You have a fine image. Good composition, and agreed about the ivy frame around the owl. Well done and let's see more!