PDA

View Full Version : Avocet at Dusk (II)

Jean-Luc Vaillant
04-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Another example of an avocet after sunset, still experimenting with "unusual" lighting.

This time (almost breaking my own rules) I used the pinkish reflection of the sky as a background. Did not use flash either (probably should have).

Beyond obvious composition/technical defects I'd love to get feedback along the line:
1. stupid idea, stick to nice blue background and direct sunlight
2. interesting concept, would work great if...
3. love it as it is

Thx for taking the time,

JLuc

http://files.me.com/jvaillant/zd9bdb
1DmkIII, 500mm + 1.4x, 1/250 @ f5.6, ISO 2500

Randy Stout
04-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Jean-Luc:

#3 for me. I really like seeing non traditional options.

I would probably crop out most of the reflection, since it is rather distorted, and doesn't add much to the image for me.

Again, the light is wonderful, soft, pleasent color in the water.

It might be interesting to try flash, but it is very easy to ruin the soft light, or start changing the beautiful color here. Maybe at -2 or so,just to introduce a catchlight, but really, I like it as presented, except for the cropping.

Randy

Kim Rollins
04-01-2009, 11:24 AM
JLuc -
Good Go.
Personally I like your idea and where you seem to be headed with it. I don't think it was a stupid idea and personally I encourage you and others to experiment, experiment, experiment.

I do think you could make the bird "pop" a bit with some more PP. A simple 'S- Curve' can make a big change. Catch light was captured and I enhanced it a bit.

Curve and two part (light and dark pixel) sharpening-

http://upload.pbase.com/image/110837415/original.jpg

Daniel Cadieux
04-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Bonjour Jean-Luc! Nice to see you posting here :-)

I'll go with #2. That is: Interesting concept, but would work even better with fill-flash. I love the colour of the water, in this case it is better than regular blue sky. Although the reflection is not very strong it does offer compositional balance and I don't mind it here - but I would reduce the amount of "stretching" in the reflected head to prevent it from touching the edge.

Kim, I understand what you are trying to achieve with your repost but I believe you have pushed it too much though.

Stu Bowie
04-01-2009, 11:48 AM
I like the original as captured JL. Its always great to capture pastel colours as you have here, and it is a change from the norm. Congrats, I like this.

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-01-2009, 02:29 PM
I totally agree about losing most of that reflection. The idea is great, love the soft light. I feel a processing of between the original and Kim's repost would be ideal for my taste. :) Thanks for posting.

Ed Grella
04-01-2009, 03:02 PM
I also think a very weak fill flash would have enhanced the subject without taking away from the beautiful sky.

Bryan Erb
04-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Pretty nice image as posted. I agree with Daniel, a little fill flash, and a very slight contrast boost. Really like the pastel colors you captured.