PDA

View Full Version : Long Billed Curlew

Michael Pancier
04-01-2009, 08:07 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3575/3400907274_b45cb05d89_o.jpg

Saw and photographed my first LBC at Fort De Soto last Friday afternoon. A solitary one which I did not see again on Saturday. So don't know if he was passing through or not.

40d+500 4.0L USM IS + 1.4x TC II
f/5.6
1/3200
ISO 400
No Flash
20% crop to 8x10 dimension

Dave Mills
04-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Michael..Beautiful image(lighting, sharpness. head position etc) Only nit is I would like to see a bit more room in the front and back of the bird. Nice image of an elusive subject

Michael Pancier
04-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Michael..Beautiful image(lighting, sharpness. head position etc) Only nit is I would like to see a bit more room in the front and back of the bird. Nice image of an elusive subject

fortunately I have more room available. Is there some type of rule of thumb as to how much room one should leave?

Dave Mills
04-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Michael...I can't speak for others but I generally leave more room in the front of the bird than the back so it has the appearance of a space the subject can go to. For my taste(I'm estimating here) I would like to see the amount of space you presently have in front of the bird in the back while at least doubling the room you have in the front. After looking at it I might make a further adjustment. Personally, I have no specific formula other than what pleases my eye and the way I stated above. I'm sure others will state their preferences...

Kim Rollins
04-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Good capture.

I just saw the first one of the season here last week. Cool weather has water levels down but soon they will come in bunches.

I would agree that the OP image is a bit tight for the way the bird is standing.

Randy Stout
04-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Michael:

I agree with Dave about the room. No, I am not aware of any reliable rules of thumb, other that having more room in the direction the bird is going/looking.

I think that it really is a matter of taste, but most folks don't like the bird to feel crowded by the frame. I this case, I would add a little bit to the left, and a slightly greater amount in front.

I like the image very much otherwise. Nice head angle, low angle of view, sharpness. The delicate pink under the bill is nice.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Randy

Stu Bowie
04-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Stunning light and sharpness captured in this Michael, and a lovely low angle too. Comp wise, this is a bit tight - I would leave a bit more space at the back, and whole lot more on the RHS. I would leave about a third of the image more for space( even though he is standing still) I feel this also needs CCW rotation. Hope that helps. BTW, still a great capture, and well done.

Randy Stout
04-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Michael:

There have been so many different ideas about the crop, if you can post the original uncropped version, perhaps some of us who have expressed thougths can do a quick crop, and we can see what people like the best!

Cheers

Randy

allanrube
04-01-2009, 02:14 PM
I think your crop gives the feeling the bird is squashed in the frame - does that make sense. I always used to do that myself - I go for longer lenses - want more reach - and that often has the tendency to make me want to get as close as possible. Instead of posting the original for others to crop. I would make another cropped based on what others said and post that. This one is too tight. Make another that is too "loose." The amount that seems right will be in between, Follow Goldilocks. :)

Ramon M. Casares
04-01-2009, 06:15 PM
I agree about the room, but other than that I think this is terrific! Congratulations on a very nice shot, light, pose, detail, colors and BG look great!

Michael Pancier
04-01-2009, 06:48 PM
here's with some more canvas added back

How's this?

Peter Hawrylyshyn
04-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Michael -
Better, i'd probably still add a bit more (especially on left) - but just personal taste
For a comparison, see the godwit post ( 10 below yours)
PH

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-01-2009, 11:56 PM
GReat-loking bird Michael. Good capture too, lovely plumage detail. I like the more room in the repost, but would still add a touch behind it. But only a bit,. :)