PDA

View Full Version : Sex for Favours - Saunders's Tern - Sternula saundersi

deomurari
03-31-2009, 11:11 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3200/3112766532_4d16b32e0b.jpg

Canon 30D with Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3

Spent 8 days in March 2008 on Pirotan Island - Jamnagar Coast Studying their Breeding Biology

Courtship feeding is frequently seen in terns. For instance, in an effort to lure females to their territories in the nesting area, a male Saunder's Tern carries a fish around the breeding colony and displays it to prospective mates. After a pair bond is formed, during the "honeymoon period" the male tern actually feeds the female, and soon thereafter they begin to copulate. During the following five to ten days, both sexes feed themselves, but the male also frequently feeds the increasingly dependent female. For the few days prior to egg laying the female is fed almost exclusively by the male, but this activity declines rapidly as the second and third eggs are laid.

Ákos Lumnitzer
03-31-2009, 11:44 PM
Nice sequence of images. The BPN Police will soon advise you that one image per post is permitted, but that image can be 1,024 pixels wide (max) or 800 pixels high (max). :) I like the interaction in the very first image, even though the lighting is not ideal.

deomurari
03-31-2009, 11:49 PM
Dear Akos....

Thanks for the information..I'm editing my post and leaving only one image. As I'm new to this forum and also this is my first post, that's why I made a mistake. Now I will follow the rules of forum...

Regards and thanks again...

Kim Rollins
04-01-2009, 01:05 AM
A Piece on the Fly.

That must be nice.

Kris Mortensen
04-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Looks like he's getting some tail! Great image! Like the DOF!