PDA

View Full Version : Hold yer Horses!

Brandon Holden
03-31-2009, 10:32 PM
http://www.peregrineprints.com/NSN/snow.jpg
1DM2n, 600mm.. ISO 320, 1/2500, F 5.6 - always in manual mode

As many of you have guessed, I didn't take this in Florida! No worries, I still have countless photos I will be posting from Florida. I just had the uncontrollable urge to post a Snowy!

This was truly the winter of Snowies for me. It's easy to find a good spot for these birds, and return to the same birds all winter long. My work however had me traveling all over Ontario, and I saw these birds everywhere we went! I guess I saw at least 100 different Snowy Owls this winter, and several of those I saw multiple times (including this fine young gal!) It is really amazing to spend time with these birds...

I believe in honesty when it comes to baiting etc, but in this case - I didn't bait! I'll admit, I had every intention of baiting this bird :? . But she decided to fly past me and catch some wild prey instead. I was happy to get this as she passed! Continuing with the disclosure, the bottom wing is touching the edge of the frame, and the top wing is very much clipped. I was able to use a wingtip from the next frame, and re-add the top wing. Then added some canvas below! The resulting image you see is about 8 megapixels, which I'll take any day! :P

Happy Spring!

Brandon

Kim Rollins
04-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Man you make me so jealous!
Till a couple of winters ago I did not even get to see one of these Snows. I herd there were some down and went and spent some time on a spit at Fort Steven on the Columbia River Mouth. Storm happened! I took images of Snows that had waves behind them, that was not the ocean but the Columbia. Tested the E-1 and the Zuiko Lenses in extreme conditions. High wind. Down pours! I was abandoned on the spit while my wife went to Second Hand Stores in Warrenton. RESCUED! She brought me a hamburger into Parking Lot "C" about noon. Soaked but I ate. Sun came out, spent afternoon in a hide in back of dunes while at least three Snows were moving in immediate area. Cool and radio controlled! :-) Wife was in parking lot and radios movements, I waited, I made "Sneaks", I stalked, I looked and I had a ball. These Snows are cool and exciting and I would lay in a ditch for six hours for one of them most any day...

but you see a hundred of them! Sheesh! What ever job you got, ...

KEEP IT! & Keep Clicking!

Axel Hildebrandt
04-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Great banking pose, details and eye contact. In an ideal world the near wing were further down but I like it as presented.

Mark Dumbleton
04-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Super banking image! Lovely detail and great exposure!
Like the one-eye look here - kind of like "im watching you".