PDA

View Full Version : Up Close and Very Personal

John Lowin
03-31-2009, 09:00 PM
This image was created in the Upper Masi Mara. The Oxpecker birds perform a cleaning service to the large herbivores by removing and eating ticks that feed off of these animals. I have seen them on numerous animals even in the ears and nostrils of Cape Buffalo, but this one was special. Be careful where and how hard you peck! Sorry it's not a more delicate perch. Hope you like my image. C and C welcomed, I'm here to learn. - John

f/8 1/320 ISO 200
Canon 1D MkII
Canon EF 500mm f/4.0 L IS USM
hh

Marina Scarr
03-31-2009, 09:19 PM
I am in awe of this picture b/c it tells such an amazing story. Even though you are photographing the Oxpecker against a huge animal, it really stands out in this light and composition. You have captured nature at its finest here! Thank you for sharing.

Dejan Stojanovic
03-31-2009, 09:19 PM
i really like this- good shot and very engaging.
congrats

Ed Cordes
03-31-2009, 09:53 PM
Highly unusual preswentation. I like it a lot. You did a good job of getting detail in the bird in this pose.

Mike Milicia
03-31-2009, 09:56 PM
Agree with all of the above ... well seen and captured!

John Lowin
03-31-2009, 09:59 PM
I am in awe of this picture b/c it tells such an amazing story. Even though you are photographing the Oxpecker against a huge animal, it really stands out in this light and composition. You have captured nature at its finest here! Thank you for sharing.

Hi Marina, Thank you so much for your kind comments. - John

Tony Kirkby
03-31-2009, 10:19 PM
Very special image, well captured!

Ákos Lumnitzer
03-31-2009, 11:09 PM
HI John

This is an exceptional image illustrating natural behavior. I really like the contrast of David and Goliath here. Such an intimate and special interaction that many people (like me) never (most likely) get to witness if it was not for kind folks like you who share this magical moment. Thank you! :)

John Lowin
03-31-2009, 11:24 PM
HI John

This is an exceptional image illustrating natural behavior. I really like the contrast of David and Goliath here. Such an intimate and special interaction that many people (like me) never (most likely) get to witness if it was not for kind folks like you who share this magical moment. Thank you! :)

Thank you Akos, I appreciate your kind words. - John

John Lowin
03-31-2009, 11:25 PM
Thank you one and all for your kind comments. - John

Stu Bowie
04-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Yep, these oxpeckers are seen on a lot of giraffe's, and expecially buffalo as you mentioned John. You have exposed the OP nicely, and must admit, although I have seen a lot of these guys, never seen one down there. Very well spotted and captured.

Ramon M. Casares
04-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Superb! Love it, great and original shot! I wish you could've gotten even closer so to get less DOF and so the Giraffe even mre OOF. Still, love it! Congratualitons!